The ultimate decision for a BS degree: Physics VS. Engineering

In summary, the individual is trying to decide between pursuing a degree in physics or engineering. They are drawn to physics and its potential for research and teaching, but are concerned about job prospects and their personal interest in engineering. They have excelled in math and physics courses in their first year of college. Advice is given to consider engineering physics programs or to possibly switch to engineering if they are interested in an engineering job. It is also noted that a physics degree may not necessarily lead to poverty and that there are various areas of engineering that do not involve working with machines and tools.
abdulah
So I've been in the lymboo of decision for my BS degree, should I go for Physics or pic an Engineering major.
I really like physics and definitely like what the major leads to (research, teachings .. etc) However I'm always haunted by the thought of being poor and not being able to continue to grad school and all; and so the Engineering bachelors degree seems more promising.
But I don't feel like I am engineering material, never liked building stuff, NEVER like machines and totally not crafty with tools. In physics however, I can never get bored of attempting to solve a problem in physics, and math has always been just one of those things I'm good at.
I eventually want to go into theoretical physics, or astrophysics (if I do physics).
So if anyone can please give me some good advice, I've been told to do what I like but sometimes that's not the right choice... so, please help!
I just finished my first year of college, took 3 math courses (calculus 1,2,3) and physics 1, as well as some other general study courses. I got a 98% in physics, and the math courses were around that average.

thanks a bunch in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
engineering is applied physics if you want to look at it like that. if any of the disciplines don't jump out at you, then you should probably consider a physics degree.

I think it's pretty simple. However, I think I should specify that my opinion can possibly not be valid since I'm only a high school senior.

If you want to be an engineer after undergraduate you should get an engineering degree. If you want to study physics and research it, get a physics degree. If you can't decide between them then you can always look into engineering physics programs or possibly do your first year in engineering and if you don't like it you can switch.

EDIT: The above I feel is still valid but now that I've carefully read your post, if you can't see yourself doing research in physics but just want an engineering job then get can engineering degree. However, if your sole reason for not getting a physics degree is because you'll be poor, I believe physics majors generally have one of the highest employment rates but you won't be doing physics research.

Last edited:
You don't necessarily have to work with machines and tools to be an engineer. An aerospace engineer specializing in orbital mechanics is little different than a physicist, except that the purpose is different. The engineer would be finding optimal trajectories while the physicist would be studying things like the Pioneer Effect.

I understand the struggle of choosing a major for your BS degree. Both physics and engineering are excellent choices and can lead to fulfilling careers. It's important to consider your interests and strengths when making this decision.

Based on your statement, it seems like you have a strong passion for physics and are naturally talented in math. This is a great foundation for pursuing a career in theoretical physics or astrophysics. While engineering may offer more job opportunities and potentially higher salaries, it is important to choose a major that you are truly passionate about. If you are not interested in building things or working with machines, it may be difficult to find fulfillment in an engineering career.

Furthermore, it is important to remember that your undergraduate degree does not define your entire career path. Many people go on to pursue graduate degrees in different fields than their undergraduate major, so choosing a major that aligns with your long-term goals is crucial.

In terms of financial concerns, it is important to consider the potential for scholarships, grants, and other forms of financial aid for graduate school. Additionally, there are often opportunities for research and teaching assistantships in graduate programs, which can help offset the cost of tuition.

Ultimately, my advice would be to follow your passion and choose the major that you are most interested in and excel in. With hard work and dedication, you can achieve success in any field. Good luck with your decision!

1. What is the main difference between a BS degree in Physics and Engineering?

The main difference between a BS degree in Physics and Engineering is the focus of study. Physics is a fundamental science that seeks to understand the laws and principles that govern the natural world. Engineering, on the other hand, is an applied science that uses the principles of physics and other sciences to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. Which degree has better job prospects?

Both a BS degree in Physics and Engineering have great job prospects. However, the types of jobs available may differ. Physics graduates often pursue careers in research, teaching, or other technical fields. Engineering graduates have opportunities in a variety of industries, such as aerospace, electronics, and construction. Ultimately, the job prospects for both degrees depend on the individual's skills, interests, and experience.

3. Which degree is more challenging?

Both a BS degree in Physics and Engineering require a strong foundation in math and science, making them both challenging. However, the level of difficulty may vary for each individual, as it depends on their strengths and interests. Physics courses tend to be more theoretical and require a deep understanding of concepts, while Engineering courses involve more hands-on application of principles.

4. Can I switch from Physics to Engineering or vice versa?

It is possible to switch from Physics to Engineering or vice versa, but it may require additional coursework. Some courses may overlap between the two degrees, but there may also be specific requirements for each major that need to be fulfilled. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best path for switching between the two degrees.

5. Will I have better salary opportunities with a BS degree in Physics or Engineering?

The salary opportunities for both a BS degree in Physics and Engineering can be very lucrative. However, it ultimately depends on the specific job, industry, and location. In general, Engineering tends to have higher starting salaries, but Physics graduates can also earn competitive salaries in fields such as research and development. It is important to research and consider the potential salary opportunities in your desired career path before making a decision.