Can salt lower the freezing point of substances and make them harder to melt?

In summary, when you add salt to a liquid, it lowers the freezing point. This makes it easier to make ice cream, since the water can get colder. However, if you want to make a rock solid ice cream, you don't want to do this.
MercuryRising
im confused...
we add rock salt to ice cream to lower freezing point. but how dose that help in making ice cream?
and when we add salt to the snow on the streets in order to melt them, dosent that also lowers the freezing point? dosent that makes the snow harder to melt?
thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Adding salt to the road does indeed lower the freezing point of water. Simpler explained, as a result, water would freeze say, at -1 or -2 C instead of 0 C, and some of the snow/ice would melt at the prevailing temperature.

So actually, it makes the snow easier to melt...

Although I do not know how salt makes ice cream easier to make...

Since adding salt to the water lowers its freezing point, it is easier to make ice cream like that since the water can get colder.

Raoult's law deals with these properties; boiling point elevation and its reverse effect, i.e., melting point decrease can be calculated by applying some formulae.

MercuryRising said:
im confused...
we add rock salt to ice cream to lower freezing point. but how dose that help in making ice cream?
and when we add salt to the snow on the streets in order to melt them, dosent that also lowers the freezing point? dosent that makes the snow harder to melt?
thanks

Since the road part was explained nicely, no comment on that.
For the addition of salt to ice cream, I have done an experiment myself in school and made some vanilla icecream :smile: . I am unclear on how your experiment was designed, but procedure I used at my school was to add a shlt of salt into a big ziplock bag of ice(thus causing the ice to melt, but maintaining the temperature below 0 due to the colligative properties), then add a bag of melted vanilla icecream inside the salted ice bag, and wait for the vanilla icecream material to freeze. This occurs because the salted ice water probably is -5 degrees celcius or below 0 degree celcius anyhow, and the vanilla incecream material probably has a freezing point around 0, and this will cause the vanilla icecream to freeze, (not completely rock solid but with an icecream texture). This shows you how effective colligative properties are and allows you to make icecream on your own, rather than using machines to maintain a constant temperature below 0.
If you are thinking.. "why not put the vanilla icecream mixture into the freezer and freeze it, because it will freeze the mixture like a rock solid thing, which you do not want and will not have the rich texture of good icecream.

If the freezing point of the substance is decreased the solid, willl now melt at the same temperature in which the non-mixture did not.

1. How does salt affect the freezing point of water?

When salt is added to water, it disrupts the hydrogen bonding between water molecules. This makes it more difficult for water molecules to form a solid lattice, resulting in a lower freezing point.

2. What is the freezing point depression constant for saltwater?

The freezing point depression constant for saltwater is approximately 1.86 °C/m. This means that for every 1 mole of salt dissolved in 1 kilogram of water, the freezing point of the solution will decrease by 1.86 °C.

3. Does the amount of salt added affect the freezing point?

Yes, the amount of salt added does affect the freezing point. The more salt that is added, the lower the freezing point will be. This is because more salt molecules are present to disrupt the formation of a solid lattice.

4. Why is salt used to de-ice roads and sidewalks?

Salt is used to de-ice roads and sidewalks because it lowers the freezing point of water. This helps prevent water from freezing and turning into ice, making it safer for people to walk and drive on these surfaces.

5. Is the freezing point depression constant the same for all types of salt?

No, the freezing point depression constant can vary slightly depending on the type of salt used. For example, the freezing point depression constant for sodium chloride (table salt) is 1.86 °C/m, while the constant for calcium chloride is 3.86 °C/m. This is because different salts have different properties that affect their ability to disrupt the freezing point of water.