Derivation of Newton Gravitation problem application

In summary, the student forgot to include the vector r3 in the equation and ended up having to use the binomial theorem to expand the denominators. They then found that using the binomial theorem and the assumption that d is small, they were able to solve for the last equation.
2slowtogofast

Homework Statement

I need to show that the first equation becomes the last. First sub in for r1 and r2 and then use the binomial theorem to expand to first order in d. Then use the assumption that d<<r1 and r2. To show it reduces to the last eqn

**In the first eqn it is NOT r3 is should be r2 sorry**
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9427/fffgb.gif

Homework Equations

Binomial theorem

I forgot to say d is the abs value of r2 -r1

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to apply the binomial theorem. My first instinct was to plug the vectors r1 and r2 into the first equation. Then expand the denominators using the binomial theorem. But the denominators are the magnitude cubed so I am not sure that makes sense. I don't want anyone to just give me the answer because I want to figure it out. But I need a hint on how get this into a form where i can apply the binomial theorem and the ignore the higher order terms of d because it is very small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
2slowtogofast said:
I know how to apply the binomial theorem. My first instinct was to plug the vectors r1 and r2 into the first equation. Then expand the denominators using the binomial theorem. But the denominators are the magnitude cubed so I am not sure that makes sense.
Sounds like a good plan. What about having the magnitude cubed in the denominator is confusing you?

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1681/uploadthis.gif

Use the fact that ##\| \vec{r} \|^2 = \vec{r}\cdot\vec{r}##.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7811/uploaddd.gif

You have to multiply it out:
$$(\vec{x}+\vec{y})\cdot(\vec{x}+\vec{y}) = \vec{x}\cdot\vec{x} + 2\vec{x}\cdot\vec{y}+\vec{y}\cdot\vec{y}$$

Also in the denomiantor there was 3 terms when I did the multipliction but the 3rd term was somthing d^2 so since we are using the assumtion d is small I ignored that term

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2586/57716226.gif

The denominator should be
$$(r_c^2 \pm 2\frac{m_i}{M}(\vec{r}_c\cdot \vec{d}))^{3/2} = (r_c^2 \pm 2\frac{m_i}{M}r_c d \cos\theta))^{3/2}$$ where ##\theta## is the angle between ##\vec{r}_c## and ##\vec{d}##. You can't just have two vectors in the expression like you did.

Pull ##r_c^2## out to get a factor of the form (1+x)3/2. Then apply the binomial expansion to $$\frac{1}{(1+x)^{3/2}} = (1+x)^{-3/2}.$$

Thanks I finally got it. This make me realize I need some more practice with vectors. But thanks for all the help!

What is the derivation of Newton's Gravitation problem application?

The derivation of Newton's Gravitation problem application is a mathematical process that explains the relationship between two objects due to the force of gravity. It is based on Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Why is Newton's Gravitation problem application important?

Newton's Gravitation problem application is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in the universe. It also provides a mathematical explanation for the force of gravity, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature.

What are the steps involved in deriving Newton's Gravitation problem application?

The derivation of Newton's Gravitation problem application involves several steps, including defining the problem, understanding the concepts of mass, distance, and force, applying Newton's law of universal gravitation, and solving for the desired variables using mathematical equations.

What are some real-world applications of Newton's Gravitation problem application?

Newton's Gravitation problem application has many real-world applications, including predicting the motion of planets and satellites in space, understanding the orbits of celestial bodies, and calculating the force of gravity between objects on Earth, such as the moon and tides.

Are there any limitations to Newton's Gravitation problem application?

While Newton's Gravitation problem application is a useful and accurate model for many situations, it does have some limitations. It does not account for the effects of relativity, which become significant at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. It also does not explain the behavior of objects at the quantum level.