Flexibility - multiple methods for solutions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of flexibility in solving mathematical equations and the differences between two methods for solving equations involving surds. The conversation also touches on the limitations of manipulating symbols without verbal explanations and the importance of considering the domain and restrictions of the original equation.
Yh Hoo
Flexibility -- multiple methods for solutions?

I found that for some mathematical equations, for example quadratic equations or other equations where f(x)=0, the solutions for f(x)=0 could be 2 i we solve certain way and only 1 out of 2 if we use another method, somethings like changing the nature of the equations.
For example, consider an equation involving surd.
x + 3√x - 18 = 0

Method 1
If i solve this by treating x as (√x)[itex]^{2}[/itex], the new equation would be a quadratic eqt in terms of √x.
(√x)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + 3√x - 18 = 0
∴By applying the quadratic equation formula, √x = 3 or -6 ,where √x=-6 should be ignore right? so we got only 1 solution which is x=9 while -6 is prohibited , meaning can't be substituted even in the original equation!

Method 2
Now if i rearrange the equation so that the term with surd is on one side and without surd is on the other side, we gt
3√x = 18 - x
square both side, we gt
9x = (18 - x)[itex]^{2}[/itex]
x - 45x + 324 = 0
Finally by quadratic equation formula,
x= 9 or 36
but somehow the 36 here is not a solution to the original equation. This is the place i wonder why even it is not a solution we still can get x=36 when f(x)=0 ??

Mathematics news on Phys.org

this is not a homework but out of my curiosity! anyone please help me.

In method 1 you have solved for the square root of x

In method 2 you have solved for x.

Do you see the difference?

Yh Hoo said:
I found that for some mathematical equations, for example quadratic equations or other equations where f(x)=0, the solutions for f(x)=0 could be 2 i we solve certain way and only 1 out of 2 if we use another method, somethings like changing the nature of the equations.
For example, consider an equation involving surd.
x + 3√x - 18 = 0

Method 1
If i solve this by treating x as (√x)[itex]^{2}[/itex], the new equation would be a quadratic eqt in terms of √x.
(√x)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + 3√x - 18 = 0
∴By applying the quadratic equation formula, √x = 3 or -6 ,where √x=-6 should be ignore right? so we got only 1 solution which is x=9 while -6 is prohibited , meaning can't be substituted even in the original equation!

Method 2
Now if i rearrange the equation so that the term with surd is on one side and without surd is on the other side, we gt
3√x = 18 - x
square both side, we gt
x - 45x + 324 = 0
Finally by quadratic equation formula,
x= 9 or 36
but somehow the 36 here is not a solution to the original equation. This is the place i wonder why even it is not a solution we still can get x=36 when f(x)=0 ??

So, after all, you got ONLY one actual real solution to the original equation, didn't you?

Both methods above restrict the possible real solutions, which MUST be non-negative, so in this case in just the same as

the good 'ol age-problems in junior high school, when one had to find out the ages of two people and sometimes

one got a negative solution, which had to be discarded as it didn't fit...

When rooting-squaring, the secret is simple: do whatever you will, but at the end substitute in the original equation

to be sure

DonAntonio

Yh Hoo said:
Method 2
3√x = 18 - x
square both side, we gt

Squaring both sides of an equation may produce an equation which has a larger solution set than the original equation. This comes from the fact that [itex] (\sqrt{x})^2 [/itex] is not always [itex] x [/itex]. If you dealing only with the real numbers then [itex] (\sqrt{-6})^2 [/itex] is not defined while [itex] -6 [/itex] is.

In general [itex] (x^a)^b [/itex] is not always equal to [itex]x^{ab}[/itex].

One of the pleasing powers of mathematics is that it allows us to solve problems by manipulating symbols without any verbal thinking. However, this power always falls slightly short of eliminating the need for verbal thoughts altogether. You have discovered some examples where this is the case. When students are introduced to algebra they often expect to write everything down as lists of symbols and not use words. Some teacher encourage this since it makes papers easier to grade. The truth is that you can't really do algebra in valid manner without writing some words here and there to explain your steps.

Stephen Tashi said:
Squaring both sides of an equation may produce an equation which has a larger solution set than the original equation. This comes from the fact that [itex] (\sqrt{x})^2 [/itex] is not always [itex] x [/itex]. If you dealing only with the real numbers then [itex] (\sqrt{-6})^2 [/itex] is not defined while [itex] -6 [/itex] is.

In general [itex] (x^a)^b [/itex] is not always equal to [itex]x^{ab}[/itex].

One of the pleasing powers of mathematics is that it allows us to solve problems by manipulating symbols without any verbal thinking. However, this power always falls slightly short of eliminating the need for verbal thoughts altogether. You have discovered some examples where this is the case. When students are introduced to algebra they often expect to write everything down as lists of symbols and not use words. Some teacher encourage this since it makes papers easier to grade. The truth is that you can't really do algebra in valid manner without writing some words here and there to explain your steps.

Perhaps one should add that "in general" above refers to complex exponentiation and\or non-positive base (and, thus, again

complex stuff), since indeed [itex]\left(x^a\right)^b=x^{ab}[/itex] whenever the basis is positive and the exponent are real numbers.

DonAntonio

1. What is flexibility in terms of multiple methods for solutions?

Flexibility in terms of multiple methods for solutions refers to the ability to approach a problem or challenge from different angles or perspectives. It allows for the consideration of various options and the ability to adapt or change tactics if necessary.

2. Why is flexibility important in the scientific process?

Flexibility is important in the scientific process because it allows for the exploration of different avenues and the consideration of alternative solutions. This can lead to more thorough and comprehensive findings and conclusions.

3. How does flexibility contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge?

Flexibility contributes to the advancement of scientific knowledge by promoting creativity and innovation. By considering multiple methods for solutions, scientists are able to break away from traditional approaches and potentially make new discoveries or connections.

4. What are some common methods for achieving flexibility in scientific research?

Some common methods for achieving flexibility in scientific research include brainstorming, collaboration with other scientists, and incorporating interdisciplinary approaches. Keeping an open mind and being willing to adapt and change are also important aspects of achieving flexibility.

5. Are there any drawbacks to flexibility in the scientific process?

While flexibility can be beneficial, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. It may lead to delays in the research process if multiple methods are being explored simultaneously. It may also require additional time and resources to thoroughly consider and test all potential solutions. Additionally, too much flexibility may lead to a lack of focus and direction in the research.