Physics I Test Results: 5 out of 22 Passed with Scores Ranging from 70-85

In summary: I recommend taking practice tests before the actual test, to help you with the format and the type of questions. There is no guarantee that you will pass on the first try, but if you study hard and make sure not to make any careless mistakes, you have a better chance of doing well.In summary, five people out of 22 people passed a physics test we took last week. The passing scores ranged from 70 to 85, with Jason making a 65. The test mostly covered projectile motion, something Jason is familiar with since he made an 84 on his previous test. However, with his score, he should be worried about passing the class. He loves math and physics, but his humbled state today has made him reconsider his commitment to
RadiationX
only 5 people out of 22 people passed a physics test we took last week. the passing scores ranged from 70 to 85, i made a 65.I'm attending a community college and the test was supposedly on par with test given at FSU and UF. the test was given in multiple choice format and during the test i thought that i was doing well because i was coming up with solutions that were answer choices. when i got my test back i was shocked at my score. the test mostly covered projectile motion. i know one test doesn't determine how smart you are, i made an 84 on the previous test. but should i be worried about passing the class? i love math and physics, but my score humbled me today. i'd just like some feedback to this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd be happy about passing if only 5 passed.

i didn't pass jasonrox

Sounds like the results of my first diff eq test. 28 people in the class, 5 people got 80% or higher. Strange, about 5 people in the class are taking it for the 2nd or 3rd time. 13 people failed it outright. 3 people got c's and 7 got d's.

I wouldn't worry about it, your probably learning the material. The answers on a multiple choice test like that are going to be set up to expose any careless mistakes you make. Reversing a sign, eliminating a constant or variable that you can't, and common setup mistakes, are all things that a professor will use. Pay very close attention to units, if there are 2 answers with the same value, but different unit's, watch out. It just means that you need to be more careful while working the problems.

When it comes to math and physics, multiple choice tests are much harder then the regular kind. It totally destroys any chance for partial credit.

Last edited:
thanks for the response, and yes there are people in the class who are taking it for the second time. but what their scores were i don't know

Last edited:
65 isn't a pass? Your school must be REALLY easy.

65 is a B- here.

Don't fret. My first test in Physics (Projectile Motion Problems mostly) was a D+.

You'll recover. ANd yes, I'll agree that multiple choice tests suck. They can be a crap-shoot sometimes.

RadiationX said:
only 5 people out of 22 people passed a physics test we took last week. the passing scores ranged from 70 to 85, i made a 65.I'm attending a community college and the test was supposedly on par with test given at FSU and UF. the test was given in multiple choice format and during the test i thought that i was doing well because i was coming up with solutions that were answer choices. when i got my test back i was shocked at my score. the test mostly covered projectile motion. i know one test doesn't determine how smart you are, i made an 84 on the previous test. but should i be worried about passing the class? i love math and physics, but my score humbled me today. i'd just like some feedback to this thread.

This sounds like the SAT type questions where a careless mistake can result in one of the wrong choices.

I really dislike these types of tests. It works alright for the SAT because the problems are small in size. But for physics problems with multiple steps, I really think it's a poor way to test a student's understanding of the material.

I highly recommend getting the solutions to the test, and finding out what your mistakes were. Go through the test several times. Try to eliminate careless mistakes.

Go through your homework problems several times, till you can always get the correct answer (and you eliminate careless mistakes)

I always found that multiple choice tests in math and science tend to be the hardest ones.

1. What is the purpose of conducting a Physics I test?

The purpose of conducting a Physics I test is to assess the understanding and application of fundamental concepts and principles in physics by students. It also helps to evaluate their problem-solving skills and ability to analyze and interpret data.

2. How are Physics I test results typically presented?

Physics I test results are typically presented in the form of numerical scores or grades. These scores can be further broken down into categories, such as overall score, section scores, or individual question scores. Some teachers may also provide feedback or comments on specific areas of improvement.

3. What factors can affect Physics I test results?

Several factors can affect Physics I test results, including the level of preparation and study habits of the student, the difficulty of the test, and the effectiveness of the teaching methods used. External factors such as test anxiety or personal issues may also have an impact on test performance.

4. How should I interpret my Physics I test results?

Interpreting Physics I test results involves looking at the overall score as well as the breakdown of scores in different categories. It is also essential to compare the results with the average or class performance to determine the level of understanding and identify areas that need improvement. Teachers or professors may also provide insights and suggestions for improvement.

5. Can Physics I test results predict future success in the subject?

Physics I test results can provide an indication of a student's current understanding and knowledge of the subject. However, it is not a definitive predictor of future success. With continued effort and practice, students can improve their understanding and performance in physics, regardless of their initial test results.