Reaction of an organic acid with aluminium phosphate

In summary, Vivek is asking about the reaction between an organic acid (carboxylic acid) and aluminium phosphate. Borek suggests that carboxylic acids can have complexing abilities and can create a complex situation in a solution when combined with aluminium. When Vivek clarifies that he is asking about heating the acid and phosphate at 700 degrees Celsius, Borek and another person speculate that the acid will decompose and form alkyl aluminum species and phosphates. Vivek's teacher mentions the formation of a ketene intermediate.
maverick280857
Hi

Does anyone know the reaction of an organic acid (carboxylic acid) with aluminium phosphate ([itex]AlPO_4[/itex])? If yes, please do let me know.

Thanks and cheers
Vivek

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do you mean any specific reaction, or just acid/base/complexation equilbrium?

In the first case - I know nothing, but my lack of knowledge outperforms my knowdledge :)

In the second case - most carboxylic acids have some complexing ability and they are weak acids, so they will change pH of the solution and they will create some complexes with Al. That, together with the amphoteric Al characteristics, can create quite complex situation in the solution. Not that is simple at the start - Al3+ complexed by OH- and weak phosphoric acid... what a soup :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Borek

Thanks for the reply. Well, yes I should've been more specific. What happens when you heat an organic (carboxylic) acid with aluminium phosphate at 700 degrees celcius?

Thanks and cheers
Vivek

I would say no carboxylic acid will survive such heating - regardless of the presence of aluminum phosphate. So basically I would expect you have to deal not with a carboxylic acid, but with the products of decomposition. But I am only guessing here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, at that temperature you will probably drive off CO2 from the acid and perhaps end up with alkyl aluminum species plus phosphates.

Actually it turns out that a ketene intermediate will be formed (according to my teacher).

1. How does an organic acid react with aluminium phosphate?

An organic acid reacts with aluminium phosphate through a process called acid-base neutralization. The acid donates a proton (H+) to the aluminium phosphate, forming a salt and water as products.

2. What is the purpose of using aluminium phosphate in this reaction?

Aluminium phosphate acts as a catalyst in the reaction between an organic acid and a base. It helps to speed up the reaction and increase the yield of the desired product.

3. Can any organic acid be used in this reaction?

Yes, a variety of organic acids can be used in this reaction, including carboxylic acids, phenols, and sulfonic acids. The choice of acid will depend on the specific reaction and desired products.

4. What are the potential applications of this reaction?

The reaction of an organic acid with aluminium phosphate has various applications in the synthesis of pharmaceuticals, polymers, and other organic compounds. It can also be used in the production of food additives, flavorings, and fragrances.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting this reaction?

As with any chemical reaction, it is important to follow safety precautions when working with organic acids and aluminium phosphate. These may include wearing appropriate protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and properly disposing of any waste products.