Creating a backup power supply circuit for a dc battery

In summary, The capacitor in your backup supply should have negligible capacity and the backup circuit should only be active when the battery is disconnected. You may use a simple RC circuit to turn on the backup supply.
engineerstdent
I am trying to create a backup dc power supply that is charged by a battery which ranges between 10 and 21Vdc. The backup supply needs to output 20W (10V, 2A) of power for 5 seconds when the battery is disconnected. I have performed some research into how long the capacitor in the backup supply will take to charge and has been determined to be negligible. I was thinking of using a simple RC circuit if possible. Additionally, the backup circuit should only be active when the battery is disconnected. Any suggestions on how to tackle this is appreciated. I was thinking of using a sensor to determine when the battery voltage is zero, meaning the battery is disconnected and then "turn on" the backup circuit.

Mainly, I am looking for any suggestions towards the circuit design of the backup circuitry and any suggestions about how to turn the backup circuit on only when the battery is disconnected.

Engineering news on Phys.org
engineeringstudent, Welcome to Physics Forums!

You have asked two questions:

1. How to sense the battery disconnect?
Normally this is accomplished by an “under voltage sensor”. You may Google that and find lots of choices.

Here is a common device, very inexpensive, you set the "trip voltage level", and the data sheet here shows many applications diagrams:
http://www.mct.net/download/on/mc34064.pdf

2. Backup supply, capacity 20Watts (10V, 2A) for 5 seconds.
Supercapacitors seem the logical choice for your rechargeable backup supply. To gauge the capacity needed for your application see the section labeled “Energy density and power density.
See the section labeled “Electrical parameters of supercapacitor series of different manufacturers” for a wide selection.
https://www.google.com/#q=supercapacitor

How big of capacitor do you think you will need?
How will you charge your capacitor?
What will the initial voltage be before you start discharging it and what will the final voltage be after 5 seconds of discharge at 2 amps?

1. What is a backup power supply circuit for a DC battery?

A backup power supply circuit for a DC battery is a system that provides a secondary source of power to a DC battery in case the primary power source fails. It ensures uninterrupted power supply to critical devices or systems.

2. Why do I need a backup power supply circuit for my DC battery?

A backup power supply circuit is essential to ensure that your devices or systems continue to function even during power outages or failures. It can prevent data loss, equipment damage, and other negative consequences of power interruptions.

3. How does a backup power supply circuit work?

A backup power supply circuit typically consists of a battery, an inverter, and a transfer switch. When the primary power source fails, the transfer switch detects the outage and switches the power source to the battery. The inverter then converts the battery's DC power into AC power, providing a seamless transition of power to the connected devices.

4. What factors should I consider when creating a backup power supply circuit for a DC battery?

Some important factors to consider when creating a backup power supply circuit for a DC battery include the power requirements of your devices, the capacity and type of battery, the efficiency of the inverter, and the transfer switch's reliability. It is also crucial to consider the space and cost constraints for your specific application.

5. Can I use any type of battery for a backup power supply circuit?

No, not all batteries are suitable for a backup power supply circuit. The most commonly used batteries for backup power supply circuits are deep cycle lead-acid batteries, which are designed to provide consistent power over an extended period. It is essential to choose a battery with the appropriate capacity and voltage for your specific application.