Convergence and Continuity: Analysis Questions on Series and Limits

• Thread starter pbialos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the first question is about determining the convergence of a series of positive terms and the use of the nth term test. The second question is about finding the limit of a function and determining if it is continuous and differentiable. The conversation also includes a discussion about finding upper bounds and using the squeeze theorem, as well as a different approach to solving the first question using the limit comparison test.
pbialos
I have two questions i hope you can help me with:

The first one is about series of positive terms like, for example [tex]\sum _{i=0}^{inf}(n^{1/n}-1)[/tex].
Can i say that as the square of this series of positive terms diverges by the "nth term test", the original series also diverges.
If i can't use this, could you please point me on the right direction in order to do determine the convergence of this series?.

My second question is about a limit by definition(lambda-epsilon proof). I have to find out if the following function is continuous and/or differentiable:
[tex]f(x,y) =\left\{\begin{array}{cc}\frac {x*y} {\sqrt x -\sqrt y},&\mbox{ if }x\neq y\\0, & \mbox{x=y}\end{array}\right[/tex]

Everything i tried indicates that this function is continuous, but i can't prove that the limit when (x,y)->(0,0) of f is in fact 0.
I you want me to explain a little better what i have done just ask. I would really appreciate any help you could give me.
Many Thanks, Paul.

Physics news on Phys.org
A general hint for these kind of limit problems. When you want to prove such a limit exists and is zero, you usually need to find an upper-bound for that function which also tends to zero. This is basically the squeeze theorem.
There are probably other ways to do it, but playing around I found:

[tex]\left| \frac{xy}{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}}\right| \leq \frac{|xy|}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}}= |x|\cdot \left| \frac{y}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}}\right| \leq |x|\sqrt{y}[/tex]
The first inequality uses the triangle inequality on the denominator. The second is obvious.
The right side clearly goes to zero.

thanks

Ok, I understand what you did, and i was thinking to do something very similar, but the inequalities didnt came up to my mind. I now have to find out if it is differentiable or not. Would i be on the right track if i use the theorem that says that if the partial derivatives are continuous in an "interval", then the function is also differentiable on that "interval"? I think i should use this instead of the differentiability limit, because i don't know which are the points to test for differentiability. Am i right?

Well i found out the partial derivatives and i realized that they are continuous everywhere except on (0,0) (I forgot to tell on the initial problem statement that the function is defined only for x and y postive or equal to 0), so i used the differentiability limit and i found that it was differentiable on (0,0).
Is my answer and PROCEDURE correct?

Do you have any hints for the first problem?

Thankfully, Paul.

Galileo said:
[tex]\left| \frac{xy}{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}}\right| \leq \frac{|xy|}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}}[/tex]
This is a mistake. The right side is smaller than the left side, since [itex]\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y} \geq |\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}|[/itex]

checking

OOOUch, i didnt check your work correctly the first time, but now i see it was wrong. So then how could i prove this limit?
Assuming i could prove the continuity limit, i am pretty sure i could prove the differntiability also.
Grateful, Paul.

pbialos said:
OOOUch, i didnt check your work correctly the first time, but now i see it was wrong. So then how could i prove this limit?
Assuming i could prove the continuity limit, i am pretty sure i could prove the differntiability also.
Grateful, Paul.

Polar Coordinates.

Actually, it's pretty easy to see the limit doesn't exist (so no need to check for differentiability).

Note that the line y=x (where x>0) doesn't lie in the domain of f. The denominator can gets arbitrality small in any neighbourhood around (0,0). Therefore, if you choose an [itex]\epsilon[/itex]-neighbourhood around (0,0), no matter how small, you can approach the line y=x from two sides inside that neighbourhood. Take a circle of radius [itex]r<\epsilon[/itex] and approach y=x from two sides. The product xy is nonzero near that line, but [itex]\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y}[/itex] approaches [itex]0^+[/itex] and [itex]0^-[/itex] respectively.

About the sum, you use 'i' as your index, but have 'n' in the expression, did you mean:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n^{1/n}-1)[/tex]

I`m not familiar with the 'n'th-term test'.

ok

ok, so problem solved for the second one.
About the first one, it is as you said:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n^{1/n}-1)[/tex]

And what i called the "n-th term root" is just the propertie that says that if a series [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(A_n)[/tex] converges, then [tex]\lim_{n->\infty}A_n=0[/tex]

I am sorry, but i didnt know how this property was called in english.

I found another way to solve this exercise but again i am not sure if what i did is correct:
I divided [tex]n^{1/n}-1[/tex] by [tex]n^{1/n}[/tex] and took the limit of this when n tends to infinite. It gave me 0, so i concluded that the series:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n^{1/n}-1)[/tex] and [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n^{1/n})[/tex] behave the same way(i think it is because the limit comparison test right??).
As the second series diverges, then the original series does also diverges.

I would really appreciate if you could tell me if any of the two ways i tried are correct.
I have my doubts about the second one specially, because i don't remember if i could use the limit comparison test when the limit A_n/B_n is equal to 0 with n tending to infinite.

Thank you, Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between convergence and continuity in analysis?

The term convergence refers to the behavior of a sequence or series towards a particular limit, while continuity is a property of a function that describes its behavior around a specific point. In other words, convergence deals with the behavior of a sequence or series as the number of terms increases, while continuity deals with the behavior of a function at a specific point.

2. How do you test for convergence of a series?

There are various tests for convergence of a series, including the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These tests involve comparing the series to other known convergent or divergent series or using techniques from calculus to evaluate the behavior of the series.

3. What is the significance of the limit in analysis?

The concept of a limit is fundamental in analysis as it allows us to describe the behavior of a sequence or function as it approaches a particular value. It is used to define important concepts such as continuity, differentiability, and convergence, which are essential in understanding the behavior of mathematical objects.

4. Can a series converge if its terms do not approach zero?

Yes, a series can converge even if its terms do not approach zero. This is known as the Alternating Series Test, which states that if a series has alternating positive and negative terms, and the absolute value of the terms decreases as the number of terms increases, then the series will converge.

5. How does the concept of convergence and continuity relate to real-world applications?

Convergence and continuity are essential concepts in mathematics that have numerous real-world applications. For example, in physics, the concept of convergence is used to describe the behavior of objects in motion, while continuity is used to model and predict the behavior of natural phenomena. In economics, these concepts are used to analyze the behavior of markets and make predictions about future trends.