Tangential and normal components

In summary, the particle A is moving in a circular slot with a radius of 3.5in and starting from rest at t=0. Its speed increases at a constant rate of 0.8in/s^2. The magnitude of its total acceleration at t=2 is 1.048in, with a tangential acceleration of 0.8in and a centripetal acceleration of 0.7314in. The correct formula for finding the total acceleration is magnitude = sqrt(tangential^2 + centripetal^2), and the correct answer is 1.5314in. After receiving hints, the person was able to correctly solve the problem.
teng125
a particle A is constrained to move in the circular slot of CD.knowing that t=0 the particle A starts from rest and moves so that its speed increases at a constant rate of 0.8in/s^2.Determine the magnitude of its total acceleration when t=2.pls help...

thanx...

Physics news on Phys.org
ah,miss out smtg about the radius is 3.5in

i have no idea about it .pls help...

the answer is 1.048in

Do you know how to do it or do you still need help?

no,i don't know how to do it.those replies are things that i have missed to type

Hints:
(1) The tangential component is given.
(2) The radial component is also known as centripetal acceleration.

i have got acc for tangential=0.8 , but the acc for normal i can't find because i don't know what is the velocity

Is the acceleration centripital or tangental?

the centripetal acc i can't find

What's the formula for centripetal acceleration?

acc(centripetal)=velocity^2 / radius

Good. So figure out the speed at t = 2 secs and you can calculate the centripetal component of the acceleration.

i still can't figure out

What's the speed at t = 2 seconds? (Hint: the tangential acceleration is constant so it's just uniformly accelerated motion.)

is it equals to zero??

oh...is it using the formula v=u + at ??

That's the one.

but then i got the velocity=1.6 and try to find the centripetal acc and then the total acc and got the wrong answer.did u get the correct answer??

Show your work.

(FYI: I believe you had a typo in your answer.)

Last edited:
for acc tangential=0.8 , for acc centripetal i use eqn v=u+at plus acc=v^2/R and obtain 0.7314
the acc total=1.5314 which is not the answer

The tangential and radial components are perpendicular components: you can't just add them. How do you find the magnitude of a vector given its components?

oh...i found it...thank you very much...

1. What are tangential and normal components?

Tangential and normal components are mathematical concepts used to describe the motion of an object in a curved path. The tangential component is the component of motion that is parallel to the curve, while the normal component is perpendicular to the curve.

2. How are tangential and normal components related to velocity?

The tangential component of velocity is the rate of change of the object's position in the direction of the tangent to the curve. The normal component of velocity is the rate of change of the object's position in the direction perpendicular to the curve.

3. What is the difference between tangential and normal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that causes a change in the speed of an object along a curved path. Normal acceleration is the component of acceleration that causes a change in the direction of motion of an object along a curved path.

4. How are tangential and normal components used in physics?

Tangential and normal components are used in physics to analyze the motion of objects in curved paths. They are important in understanding the forces acting on an object and predicting its future motion.

5. Can tangential and normal components be negative?

Yes, tangential and normal components can be negative. The sign of the components depends on the direction of motion of the object. A negative tangential component indicates that the object is slowing down, while a negative normal component indicates that the object is changing its direction of motion towards the opposite direction.