ZIL Screws You: Russian Heavy-Duty Transport Vehicles

In summary, the conversation was about a unique and unconventional car technology developed by the Russians called the ZIL. The technology allowed the car to move sideways, as well as forwards and backwards. The drawbacks of this system, such as lateral sliding and maintenance issues, were discussed. A similar technology was also developed in the US but was ultimately cancelled.
Engineering news on Phys.org
That is pretty cool. I have never seen that. I wonder just how many drawbacks there were to that system. The video showed that lateral sliding could definitely be an issue. Probably not so good on hard surfaces either. Still. It was pretty neat.

FredGarvin said:
That is pretty cool. I have never seen that. I wonder just how many drawbacks there were to that system. The video showed that lateral sliding could definitely be an issue.

In what way? If you mean that it can happen, that's a feature! Or did you mean slip on hilllsides?

The short segment that I saw about the US program indicated that it was canceled due to maintenance issues.

Last edited:
Hillsides. It looked in one segment there that a cross slope could prove to be a problem. Then again, like you said, perhaps they wanted it to do that. It looked to me like it slipped down the slope suddenly.

FredGarvin said:
Hillsides. It looked in one segment there that a cross slope could prove to be a problem. Then again, like you said, perhaps they wanted it to do that. It looked to me like it slipped down the slope suddenly.

In the clip that I saw on TV, the one that we made was shown driving sideways as well as forwards and backwards.

1. What are ZIL screws and how are they used in Russian heavy-duty transport vehicles?

ZIL screws are a type of fastening mechanism used in Russian heavy-duty transport vehicles. They are designed to securely hold parts together, such as panels and frames, and are often used in combination with other fasteners like bolts and nuts.

2. How durable are ZIL screws and can they withstand harsh environments?

ZIL screws are known for their durability and are specifically designed to withstand harsh environments. They are made from high-quality materials, such as stainless steel, and are able to withstand extreme temperatures, corrosion, and heavy loads.

3. Are ZIL screws interchangeable with other types of screws?

While ZIL screws are specifically designed for Russian heavy-duty transport vehicles, they may be interchangeable with other types of screws in certain cases. However, it is always best to use the recommended screw type for optimal performance and safety.

4. Can ZIL screws be easily replaced if they break or become damaged?

Yes, ZIL screws can be easily replaced if they break or become damaged. They are typically standard sizes and can be found in most hardware stores. However, it is important to always use the correct size and type of screw for the specific vehicle and application.

5. Are there any maintenance tips for ZIL screws to ensure their longevity?

To ensure the longevity of ZIL screws, it is important to regularly inspect them for signs of wear or damage. Additionally, keeping them clean and properly lubricated can help prevent corrosion and maintain their functionality. It is also important to follow the recommended torque specifications when installing ZIL screws to prevent over-tightening or under-tightening.