External Hard Drives: Backup Data & Restore PCs?

• Thread starter Mudvaynelethaldosage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive Hard
In summary: You can also use them to store pictures, music, and other files. If you are only backing up a small amount of data, you can probably just plug the drive into a USB port on your computer and start copying the files to it. If you are not familiar with how to use an external drive, some of the drives come with software that can help you set it up as a slave drive.
Mudvaynelethaldosage
Would an external hard drive be useful for backing up data so I can restore my pc? Can I just plug one into my USB port and put files on it without having to set it up as a slave? Install software? Format? I actually only want to back up about 1gb. Would I be able to plug it into other pcs and get data from other pcs without any software or jumper settings?
I'm thinking of getting a 4gb hard drive and setting it as a slave drive. I have everything except the hard drive. I'll probably have to deal with the format and OS on the 4gb hard drive conflicting with my system. thank you

Computer science news on Phys.org
Would an external hard drive be useful for backing up data so I can restore my pc?
Yes
Can I just plug one into my USB port and put files on it without having to set it up as a slave? Install software? Format?
To the first question the answer is typically yes. To the second, I think this is dependant upon the operating system you use. Win98, for example, may require a software driver to enable USB support whereas WinXP probably will not. To the third question, I believe many of the external drives come formatted and ready for use, reading the information on the boxes for specific drives may shed more light on your questions.
I actually only want to back up about 1gb. Would I be able to plug it into other pcs and get data from other pcs without any software or jumper settings?
Well, the answer to compatibility with other systems isn’t really going to be much different than what was previously touched on. As for being able to retrieve data the answer may depend on what type of file is created by your backup (if it's something peculiar another computer without the proper software may not know what to do with it). Of course if you simply copy and paste then retrieving won’t be a problem so long as the other computer is able to interface with the drive itself.
I'm thinking of getting a 4gb hard drive and setting it as a slave drive.
Ok, now it sounds like you are switching from external drive ponderings to internal drive musings. The jumpers on external drives are not something you generally have to tamper with, whereas if you’re going internal they are.
I have everything except the hard drive. I'll probably have to deal with the format and OS on the 4gb hard drive conflicting with my system. thank you
What else is there besides the hard drive itself ? Are you saying that you own an external hard drive enclosure but need a drive to put in it? I’m missing something here.

PS
I have seen those little USB thumbdrives exceeding 4GB in capacity. What a sweet thing to own one of those! :smile:

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I brought up the 4 gb hard drive as an internal slave drive. I have no money for my pc and need to restore. I don't want to lose my files. I have Windows ME, 350mhz pentium2, 320mb ram, 7.83gb hard drive, and lots of problems. No cd burner (working) or I would use that. Thank you for the info, it is very useful

If you could network your computer with another having some spare hard disk space you could transfer your files to it. Afterwards you could repair your system with the knowledge your files are safe. If it is possible for you to do this you could avoid the 4GB drive altogether.

Thank you very much. I have access to a pc that I could network with mine. I'll be putting up a new thread on how to do my network soon.

If it is only 4 GB I would just get a cd burner. At 700MB each you would need 6 cds. If you get a dvd burner you only need 1 4.7GB disc. There is also CD-RW and DVD-RW if you want to write and delete files from these discs.

Hard-drives are cheap now, the minimum capacity sold in malaysia is 40GB.
I bought an external casing that can convert internal 3.5" HDD and CDROM/writer to external drive/writer, connected by usb2.0 cable. Very convenient.

External hard drives are a great way of backing up your entire hard drive and the operating system.

1. What is an external hard drive?

An external hard drive is a portable storage device that can be connected to a computer through a USB, Firewire, or Thunderbolt connection. It is used to store and transfer data, such as documents, photos, videos, and music.

2. Why should I use an external hard drive to backup my data?

External hard drives provide an additional layer of protection for your data in case of computer malfunctions, crashes, or virus attacks. It also allows you to easily transfer data between different computers.

3. How do I backup my data onto an external hard drive?

To backup your data onto an external hard drive, you can either manually copy and paste your files or use a backup software program. Many external hard drives also come with built-in backup features.

4. Can I restore my entire computer from an external hard drive?

Yes, if you have created a complete backup of your computer's hard drive on the external hard drive, you can restore your entire system from it. This is useful in case of a computer crash or when setting up a new computer.

5. How do I protect the data on my external hard drive?

To protect the data on your external hard drive, you can use a password or encryption software. It is also important to keep your hard drive in a safe and secure location and to regularly scan it for viruses.