Diffraction of a Laser: Uncovering the Mystery

In summary, light diffracts because it has a spectrum of frequencies. The amount of diffraction depends on the wavelength of the wave. The fringe spacing of diffracted light can be solved by: w = \frac{\lambda D}{s} where \lambda is the wavelength of light incident to the grating of size s and distance D from the diffraction pattern.
DarthMarth
I've never understood how diffraction is possible, which has led me to mistrust a good deal of quantum physics. I'm mystified as to how light starts spreading out in all directions after passing through an aperture. Supposedly it's because light spreads out like a wave, but then how is it possible to have a laser that spreads out very slowly? And why does the laser start spreading out much faster after passing through an aperture? I've never understood diffraction because I've never gotten an answer to this question. Perhaps someone here can enlighten me.

Science news on Phys.org
DarthMarth said:
I've never understood how diffraction is possible, which has led me to mistrust a good deal of quantum physics. I'm mystified as to how light starts spreading out in all directions after passing through an aperture. Supposedly it's because light spreads out like a wave, but then how is it possible to have a laser that spreads out very slowly? And why does the laser start spreading out much faster after passing through an aperture? I've never understood diffraction because I've never gotten an answer to this question. Perhaps someone here can enlighten me.

I think you need to understand that it is not just light that diffracts, all forms of EM wave can be diffracted.

The amount of diffraction depends on the wavelength of the wave; so the fringe spacing of diffracted light can be solved by: [tex]w = \frac{\lambda D}{s}[/tex] where [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the wavelength of light incident to the grating of size [tex]s[/tex] and distance [tex]D[/tex] from the diffraction pattern.

We can see from this equation that as the wavelength of incident light decreases, so does the space between maxima; which is what I understand by our use of 'spreads out very slowly'

Hope this helps,

C

DarthMarth said:

That's a good question- a surprisingly good question!

The 'raw' laser beam does indeed spread out 'more slowly' than if you were to send it through a pinhole aperture. But the reason has to do with how the laser beam is generated inside the lasing cavity as well as diffraction through an aperture.

Inside the laser, the resonant cavity has a certain shape- not only length, but width as well. As the light builds up (the exit window only let's a small fraction of light out), it develops not only longitudinal modes (the wavelength) but also transverse modes (so-called Gaussian, Hermite, etc.). Typically, a laser exits in the (0,0) TEM Gaussian mode. These modes are carefully matched to the size of the exit window (or vice-versa, the exit window diameter is specified by the beam waist of the desired beam profile). The light exits with a divergence (spreading) inversely related to the exit pupil size. ([tex]\theta * \omega_{0} = \pi\lambda[/tex])

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_beam

For a green laser, the beam divergence can be milliradians fairly easily.

Now, what's the difference between that and passing the light through a hole? If the hole is the size of the beam, then nothing! If the hole is smaller than the beam, there are *additional* diffractive effects from truncating the beam- and the more truncation occurs, the 'faster' the beam diffracts out.

Andy Resnick's post pretty much nails it, but I would like to ask the OP a question, if I may.

First of all, why has light diffraction caused you to distrust QM? Light diffraction happens, it's a fact, and you can observe it by doing the experiment yourself. It's a fact of nature. A physical theory is, at best, just an attempt to explain or model natural phenomena.

Light diffraction isn't even QM-specific. Classical electrodynamics predicts diffraction too.

Also, here is a similar thread that you might want to read (Some people answered this question nicely): https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=376754

Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when waves, such as light, encounter an obstacle or aperture. It is a fundamental property of waves and is well understood in the field of physics. To understand diffraction, we must first understand that light behaves as both a particle and a wave. This duality is what makes diffraction possible.

When a laser beam passes through an aperture, it encounters the edges of the aperture, which act as obstacles. The light waves are then forced to bend or diffract as they pass through the aperture. This bending of the light waves causes the laser beam to spread out in all directions, creating the diffraction pattern that we observe.

The reason why a laser beam spreads out slowly is due to the fact that the aperture is small compared to the wavelength of the laser light. In this case, the diffraction pattern is minimal, and the laser beam remains relatively focused. However, when the aperture is larger, or the wavelength of the laser light is smaller, the diffraction pattern becomes more significant, causing the laser beam to spread out faster.

Additionally, the speed at which the laser beam spreads out after passing through the aperture is also affected by the shape and size of the aperture. For example, a smaller aperture will result in a more significant diffraction pattern, causing the laser beam to spread out faster.

In summary, diffraction is a well-understood phenomenon that occurs due to the wave-like nature of light. It is a fundamental property of waves and plays a crucial role in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics. By understanding the principles of diffraction, we can better understand the behavior of light and other waves, and continue to uncover the mysteries of the universe.

1. What is diffraction of a laser?

Diffraction of a laser is the phenomenon of light bending and spreading out as it passes through an opening or around an obstacle. This is due to the wave-like nature of light, where the light waves interfere with each other, causing the beam to diffract.

2. How does diffraction of a laser occur?

Diffraction of a laser occurs when the size of the opening or obstacle is comparable to the wavelength of the laser light. As the light passes through the opening or around the obstacle, it bends and spreads out, creating a diffraction pattern.

3. What is the importance of understanding diffraction of a laser?

Understanding diffraction of a laser is important in many fields, including optics, telecommunications, and astronomy. It allows us to manipulate and control laser beams for various applications such as laser cutting, holography, and laser communication.

4. How is diffraction of a laser used in research and experimentation?

In research and experimentation, diffraction of a laser is often used to study the properties of light and matter. It is also used in diffraction experiments to determine the wavelength of the laser, as well as to observe the interference patterns created by the diffracted light.

5. Can diffraction of a laser be seen with the naked eye?

No, diffraction of a laser is not visible to the naked eye. It can only be observed using specialized equipment, such as a diffraction grating or a laser interferometer.