Solving Spaceship Chase Scene Relative Velocity Problem

• Thread starter frerelupin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spaceship
In summary, PAllen showed that if you use relativity of simultaneity, and ignore the breakdown into velocity addition, contraction, simultaneity, and just Lorentz transform the whole scenario from 'external' to .8c rocket, then from external to .4 rocket, then v=d/t works in all frames.
frerelupin
I have been pondering but cannot quite resolve the following question:

Imagine two spaceships, separated by 4 light-seconds initially. Spaceship A is traveling at 0.8c and Spaceship B (the one with the lead) is traveling at 0.4c.

Clearly an external observer will see this "chase" last for 10 seconds.
Spaceship A determines that the chase lasts ~6 seconds.
Spaceship B determines that the chase lasts ~9.17 seconds.

Calculating their velocities relative to one another is trivial and will be 0.588c and -0.588c.

Here is my conundrum: I want to be able to show that all frames are relative thus doing Einstein a solid. I feel I should be able to do this just using d=vt if I can answer the following question:

How far does Spaceship B appear to travel from A's perspective, and vice versa.

I can't quite get this to work out, but I feel that Spaceship A should see Spaceship B coming at them for 6 seconds at -0.588c, which means they covered 3.53 light-seconds, and that Spaceship B should see Spaceship A coming at them for 9.17 seconds at 0.588c meaning they covered 5.39 light-seconds.

There should be a manner in which I can determine the distance each appeared to travel using length contraction; that is to say, without using the times and velocities as derived above.

Am I off somewhere? Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It may be trivial but that is not what I get for their relative velocities. I get
[tex]\frac{.8c- .4c}{(1+ .8(.4)}= (.4c)/(1.32)= 0.303c[/tex]
and -.303c

Shouldn't the function in the denominator be subtraction? They are both traveling in the positive direction, so I would think there would be a subtraction in the numerator as well as the denominator.

I agree with +/- .588 c relative speed.

However, the problem is you cannot just use length contraction. Like it or not, you must use relativity of simultaneity as well. The initial distance of 4 light seconds is using the 'external' observer's simultaneity. The .8c rocket not only disagrees with the 4 light seconds, but it also disagrees with the external observer as when the .4 rocket was contracted 4 light seconds light seconds away.

The easiest way to work such a problem is to ignore the breakdown into velocity addition, contraction, simultaneity, and just Lorentz transform the whole scenario from 'external' to .8c rockect, then from external to .4 rocket.

PAllen: Hmmmm... if I understand what you're saying (and I'm not certain I do!) you mean to say just do the velocity addition anyway? I'm trying to find a way around that part. As I said in my original post, I want to be able to show that v=d/t works in the rest frame, the 0.8c frame, and the 0.4c frame as long as we use the properly framed d and t values.

If you are saying I could do this, could you elaborate on which transforms you are talking about? Do you mean to say use:

\begin{equation}
x'=\frac{x-ut}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}
\end{equation}
and
\begin{equation}
t'=\frac{t-\left(\frac{u}{c^2}\right)x}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}
\end{equation}

Woot! PAllen, you the man! Here's what I did:

\begin{equation}
v'=\frac{x'}{t'}=\frac{\frac{x-ut}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}}{\frac{t-\left(\frac{u}{c^2}\right)x}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}}=\frac{x-ut}{t-\frac{ux}{c^2}=0.588c
\end{equation}

Done! Thank you so much! This has been bothering me for a while now.

Cheers!

1. What is relative velocity in a spaceship chase scene?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object or observer with respect to another object or observer. In a spaceship chase scene, it is the velocity of one spaceship with respect to another spaceship.

2. Why is it important to consider relative velocity in a spaceship chase scene?

In a spaceship chase scene, the relative velocity determines the speed and direction of the chase. It also affects the timing and success of maneuvers, as well as the potential for collisions or near misses.

3. How is relative velocity calculated in a spaceship chase scene?

Relative velocity can be calculated by subtracting the velocity of one spaceship from the velocity of the other spaceship. This will give the relative velocity vector, which includes both magnitude and direction.

4. How can relative velocity be used to solve a spaceship chase scene problem?

By understanding the concept of relative velocity and how to calculate it, you can use it to determine the best course of action in a spaceship chase scene. This can include predicting the path of the chasing spaceship, planning maneuvers, and avoiding collisions.

5. What are some common challenges when solving a spaceship chase scene relative velocity problem?

One of the main challenges is visualizing and understanding the 3D motion of the spaceships in relation to each other. Another challenge is accounting for any changes in velocity, such as acceleration or deceleration, during the chase. It may also be difficult to account for any external factors, such as gravity or other forces, that may affect the relative velocity.