My landlord will not allow me to have a dog

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I can't have one because I have allergies to dogs.In summary, a parrot or iguana might be a better choice for a pet than a dog or cat, depending on your reasons for not wanting a pet. Parrots and iguanas are not the only types of pets that you are considering, but they are two of the more common ones. If you can't have a dog or cat, a ferret might be a good choice. Two big counts against them are that ferrets are smelly and they love to burrow.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
My landlord will not allow me to have a dog, so i was thinking may be a parrot or an iguana, what's your thoughts, i am in most days.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
My landlord will not allow me to have a dog, so i was thinking may be a parrot or an iguana, what's your thoughts, i am in most days.
Is it a matter of noise bothering neighbors? If so, a parrot would probably not be a good idea. Even the little ones (I had a blue-crowned conure) can be incredibly loud.

How about a cat?

Iguanas can get pretty big. We have a blue tongued skink that will max out at about two feet. Not as scary as an iguana, but still can frighten small childen and maids, if that's what you're looking for...

Are parrots and iguanas the only pets you are considering?

My sister-in-law had a green conure, and it was by far very loud, though it was entertaining when it would call the dog's name. The dog would get up, walk over to the room where the bird was, look around, come back and sit, then the conure would call it again.

I've had several rats as pets, they are normally quite friendly and seldom noisy.

Ferret.

They play, they don't poop in your house, they are clean, they don't smell (any worse than a cat would at least), you can teach them things, they will cuddle with you, they have a personality, and are generally awesome (and quiet except for the occasional funny noise).

If you can't have a dog or cat, the ferret is the way to go. Birds get annoying real fast, and your neighbors will hate you. Iguanas don't really "do" a whole lot, much like the other pets that I group into that same genre, (fish, reptiles, amphibians, and small rodents without the capacity for learning).

QuarkCharmer said:
Ferret.

They play, they don't poop in your house, they are clean, they don't smell (any worse than a cat would at least), you can teach them things, they will cuddle with you, they have a personality, and are generally awesome (and quiet except for the occasional funny noise).

If you can't have a dog or cat, the ferret is the way to go. Birds get annoying real fast, and your neighbors will hate you. Iguanas don't really "do" a whole lot, much like the other pets that I group into that same genre, (fish, reptiles, amphibians, and small rodents without the capacity for learning).

While I personally have not owned a ferret, I have several friends who have.

Two big counts against them:
1] They are indeed quite smelly.
2] They loooove to burrow. They will make short work of anything except solid concrete.

Well, you have to ferret-proof your home. That includes making sure there are no holes in the wall/cabinets, and you cover up that foam liner that's under some sofas. Mine never attempted to damage anything. After about a year or so I was comfortable with leaving his cage open while I was home. I would have left it open when I left for work but who knows, he might have darted out and got scared or something when I opened the door. They tend to be uh, a little wound-up when startled.

If you bathe them too often, they smell bad. Most people bathe them too much. Mine never smelled worse than a cat.

What about rabbits? They look like sly bastards, the way they always look like they've always got something in their mouths but they're cute little fellas. I still feel a little sad when I think of my first rabbit, who got eaten my neighbour's dog, who could quite easily climb into our yard at the time.

If you have a disability, get a service dog. They bypass many of the restrictions which fetter regular dogs.

well I always love to have dogs as pet have my own house so landlord is not a problem

What are the reasons my landlord may not allow me to have a dog?

There could be a variety of reasons for this, such as the landlord's personal preferences, concerns about potential damage to the property, or restrictions in the lease agreement.

Can I negotiate with my landlord to allow me to have a dog?

It is possible to negotiate with your landlord, but ultimately it is up to them to decide if they will allow a dog on the property. It may be helpful to offer to pay an additional pet deposit or provide references from previous landlords.

Do I have any legal rights to have a dog if my landlord does not allow it?

In most cases, landlords have the right to set rules and restrictions for their rental properties, including not allowing pets. If having a dog is important to you, it may be best to look for a different rental that allows pets.

What alternatives do I have if I cannot have a dog in my rental?

There are a few alternatives you can consider, such as finding a pet-friendly rental, fostering a dog, or volunteering at a local animal shelter. You could also consider getting a different type of pet that may be allowed by your landlord.

Are there any potential consequences for having a dog in a rental where it is not allowed?

If your landlord does not allow pets and you bring a dog onto the property, they may have the right to evict you or charge you additional fees. It's important to respect your landlord's rules and communicate with them if you have any concerns about their pet policy.