Is it easy to go from a Mechanical Engineering background to Physics

In summary, if you are currently a mechanical engineering student and plan to pursue a BS in physics after completing your engineering degree, you will likely need to take additional courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, relativity, and quantum mechanics. However, if you are an engineering physics major, you may already have some of the introductory prerequisites for a physics program, which could potentially shorten the time needed to complete a BS in physics to 2-3 years. It is also possible to continue on to graduate work in physics with a bachelors degree in engineering physics.
boyongo
Hi, I am currently an mechanical engineering student. When i finish my BS in engineering i want to a BS in physics. Will i have to take a lot of additional courses in the physics BS?

Physics news on Phys.org
boyongo said:
Hi, I am currently an mechanical engineering student. When i finish my BS in engineering i want to a BS in physics. Will i have to take a lot of additional courses in the physics BS?
Pretty much yes. One will probably require the courses in classical mechanics/dynamics, electro-magetic (EM) theory, relativity, and quantum mechanic/quantum physics. One may have the introductory prerequisites for a physics program, so it might only be 2-3 years for a BS in physics.

Astronuc said:
Pretty much yes. One will probably require the courses in classical mechanics/dynamics, electro-magetic (EM) theory, relativity, and quantum mechanic/quantum physics. One may have the introductory prerequisites for a physics program, so it might only be 2-3 years for a BS in physics.

Not that I wish to hijack this thread, but I'm curious if this applies to an Engineering Physics major? Can one proceed to graduate work in Physics with a bachelors in EP?

1. What are the main differences between Mechanical Engineering and Physics?

The main difference between Mechanical Engineering and Physics is that Mechanical Engineering is an applied science that focuses on the design and production of mechanical systems, while Physics is a fundamental science that seeks to understand the laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. Mechanical Engineering requires a practical application of physics principles, but it also incorporates other disciplines such as mathematics, materials science, and design. Physics, on the other hand, focuses on theoretical concepts and their experimental validation.

2. Can a Mechanical Engineer transition to a career in Physics?

Yes, it is possible for a Mechanical Engineer to transition to a career in Physics. While the two fields have different focuses, there is overlap in the skills and knowledge required. Mechanical Engineers already have a strong foundation in physics principles and mathematics, which are essential for understanding advanced concepts in Physics. With additional education and training, a Mechanical Engineer can pursue a career in fields such as research, teaching, or applied physics.

3. What are the key challenges a Mechanical Engineer may face when transitioning to Physics?

One of the key challenges a Mechanical Engineer may face when transitioning to Physics is the difference in the level of theoretical knowledge required. Mechanical Engineering is more practical and focuses on real-world applications, while Physics requires a deeper understanding of theoretical concepts and mathematical models. Additionally, a Mechanical Engineer may need to pursue further education and training to gain the necessary skills and knowledge for a career in Physics.

4. Are there any advantages to having a background in Mechanical Engineering when studying Physics?

Yes, having a background in Mechanical Engineering can provide several advantages when studying Physics. Mechanical Engineers have a strong understanding of mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science, which are all essential for understanding advanced concepts in Physics. They also have practical experience with designing and building mechanical systems, which can be beneficial in experimental Physics research. Additionally, a background in Mechanical Engineering can provide a unique perspective and approach to problem-solving in Physics.

5. What resources are available for a Mechanical Engineer interested in pursuing Physics?

There are various resources available for a Mechanical Engineer interested in pursuing Physics. Many universities offer graduate programs specifically designed for individuals with a background in engineering to transition into a career in Physics. Additionally, there are online courses, workshops, and seminars available to help bridge the gap between Mechanical Engineering and Physics. It can also be helpful to network with professionals in the field and seek mentorship or internships to gain hands-on experience in Physics.