Is a Euler or an Euler correct?

• Thread starter mikeph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Euler
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct use of articles when referring to the name "Euler". It is determined that when referring to the person Leonhard Euler, the article "a" should be used, while when referring to a mathematical object attached to the name, the article "an" can be used. However, there are instances where "an Euler" can be used, such as when comparing the genius of different historical figures. The conversation also touches on the incorrect pronunciation of "Euler" and its implications on the use of articles.
mikeph
Is "a Euler" or "an Euler" correct?

Given the pronunciation sounds like "oiler", which article do we use?

Couldn't find the grammar forum!:redface:

Physics news on Phys.org

Since "oiler" begins with a vowel, it's "an Euler". In days of old, children would have known that even before they learned what an Euler is, as you can see in this playground song:

What noise annoys an Euler?
Oh tell me, tell me do.
What noise annoys an Euler
And gets him in a stew?
Of all the noisy noises
Along the sea and coast,
I tell you boys, a noisy noise
Annoys an Euler most!

(Okay, it should be "oyster" and not "Euler", but the principle's the same.) :biggrin:

Euler is a name, and hence it is a proper noun. In this case, we do not say "an Euler" because Euler is a person. Saying "an --" implies that there are multiple cases, i.e. more than one Euler. However, if the name is attached to some mathematical object, then you can say "an Euler constant," because there may be multiple cases. The Euler in this case is treated as a simple noun.

marxLynx said:
Euler is a name, and hence it is a proper noun. In this case, we do not say "an Euler" because Euler is a person. Saying "an --" implies that there are multiple cases, i.e. more than one Euler. However, if the name is attached to some mathematical object, then you can say "an Euler constant," because there may be multiple cases. The Euler in this case is treated as a simple noun.

No, there are instances when one may wish to use the phrase "an Euler". For example, "When will we see another genius the likes of an Euler, a Newton, or an Einstein?" is perfectly good grammar.

And, as to the OP's question, it's "an" because the vowel sound used in the actual pronunciation is what matters in determining the indefinite article.

Unless you mispronounce Euler as many do. In that case, it's a Euler.

This sounds like an unique situation that deserves a honest answer.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Unless you mispronounce Euler as many do. In that case, it's a Euler.

Or conversely, the thing you put on the fire at Christmas is an Eul log.

AlephZero said:
Or conversely, the thing you put on the fire at Christmas is an Eul log.

Stop pouring Eul on the fire.

Wait. Are we talking about the mathematician Leonhard Euler, or his football player brother Houston Euler?

Jimmy Snyder said:
Wait. Are we talking about the mathematician Leonhard Euler, or his football player brother Houston Euler?
Don't you mean Edmonton Euler, which is the only kind that counts?

I had some deliciously Euley French fries the other day.

So I guess it's a Euclid element.

1. Is it pronounced "oiler" or "yooler"?

The correct pronunciation is "oiler." It is named after the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler.

2. What is the Euler characteristic?

The Euler characteristic is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between the number of vertices, edges, and faces of a polyhedron. It is calculated by subtracting the number of edges from the number of vertices and adding the number of faces.

3. What is the difference between Euler's formula and Euler's theorem?

Euler's formula is a mathematical equation that relates the number of vertices, edges, and faces of a polyhedron, while Euler's theorem is a result in number theory that states that if two numbers are relatively prime, then raising one number to the power of the other will result in a remainder of 1 when divided by the first number.

4. What is the significance of Euler's number?

Euler's number, also known as the mathematical constant "e," is a fundamental constant in mathematics that appears in a variety of applications, including compound interest, logarithms, and calculus. It is approximately equal to 2.71828.

5. Is it "a Euler" or "an Euler" in a sentence?

The correct usage is "an Euler" because the pronunciation of "Euler" begins with a vowel sound. This follows the general rule in English where "an" is used before words that begin with vowel sounds.