Looking to change my fieldAm I too late?

• Thread starter sndtam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the conversation is about a forum member from India who has a passion for physics and wants to pursue a career in it. They are currently in their final year of undergraduate studies in engineering but have watched lectures and courses in physics and enjoyed them. They are considering a Masters in Physics and eventually a PhD, but are unsure about job opportunities and if it's too late to change fields. The expert advises that a PhD is necessary to work as a physicist and suggests looking into specific schools and contacting them for eligibility. The person also mentions their own experience of getting an MS in Physics and its limited impact on job opportunities.
sndtam
Hi
I am a forum member from two years.I never really post anything but I do check out the discussions at the forums.I am really interested in doing physics.I am not saying this by watching Brian Greene or Michio Kaku. I have a passion for physics.There are only two things in my life that I can do for entire day without any hesitation.They are physics and computer stuff.

The problem is that I am from India and like most of the students here I took a Engineering Degree in Electronics and Communication.But I have watched all the Walter Lewin Lectures from MIT,Classical and Quantum Mechanics courses from Prof. Balakrishnan,basic physics courses from Shankar and I really enjoyed them.

I am in the final year of completing my Under-Graduation but I really want to do Physics.I have already read So-you-wanna-become-a-physicist thread.I still did not decide about going for a Phd,but I want to do Physics especially Particle Physics.I have already searched through forums but I could not find any answer.

I spent already four years to get an Engineering Degree!Am I too late to change my field to physics and What job opportunities can I expect after completing my masters in Physics?Sorry if my English does not sound good.

Physics news on Phys.org
To have any chance of working AS A PHYSICIST, you really need a Ph.D. in Physics. With an M.S. in Physics, there are opportunities to work as an engineer or a programmer, assuming you have developed the necessary skills along the way.

TMFKAN64 said:
To have any chance of working AS A PHYSICIST, you really need a Ph.D. in Physics. With an M.S. in Physics, there are opportunities to work as an engineer or a programmer, assuming you have developed the necessary skills along the way.

I want to do a Phd but right now I am just focussing on my Masters.I am already 22.So,I expect 2-3 years for masters and then maybe Phd. Am I too late to change my field?I don't want to end up my life unsuccessful after completing my masters.

I got my M.S. in physics at 48. I think you'll manage well enough at 22. :smile:

TMFKAN64 said:
I got my M.S. in physics at 48. I think you'll manage well enough at 22. :smile:
I think that`s really great.How do you manage to get a job?Thanks for the response!
Edit:Just looked up your profile. You did a Phd. in Computer Science first.
Mépris said:
Look into those schools:

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2860

http://portal.mytum.de/studium/stud...neering_physics_master?ignore_redirection=yes

Three more physics programs here:

https://www.elitenetzwerk.bayern.de...te-programs-according-to-fields-of-study/?L=2

E-mail the individual universities and see if you'd be eligible with your degree.

Look into doing an M.Sc in India as well.
Thanks for the links!
Well,I am looking to do a Masters course in India.But,most of the Universities in India do not maintain high standards for Masters in Physics.I would love to get into IIT but that needs a lot of preparation from my side.Their Physics programs are looking great and I would like to know about job opportunities from any Indians out here.

sndtam said:
I think that`s really great.How do you manage to get a job?Thanks for the response!
Edit:Just looked up your profile. You did a Phd. in Computer Science first.

I mainly did the MS because I was interested in the subject. From a work perspective though, it didn't really help. That's why I said if you want to do *physics*, you need a Ph.D. (I'm at a national lab now, hanging out with physicists, but still doing computer work.)

It's never too late to change the field your in, but it's really just a question of what's required for you to do it.

I don't know how things work in India. In my experience (Canadian schools) to enter into a master's program in physics you need an undergraduate degree in physics "or equivalent." The "or equivalent" usually means that the admissions committee will survey your transcripts for specific courses that will put you on par with other incoming graduate students. Missing one or two courses is usually not a big deal. They can be made up. But if it's more than that, you'll have to do the make up ork on your own dime.

So, compare your course list with that for a physics program and identify what's different. If you've covered most of the same core material you'll likely be okay, but if not you have some makeup work to do.

If you're still in question, then try contacting some of the specific schools you're interested in attending for gradaute studies and ask them what courses you need to take to be considered for admission.

1. Am I too late to change my field as a scientist?

No, it is never too late to change your field as a scientist. Many scientists switch fields multiple times throughout their careers. It may require additional education or training, but it is always possible to make a change.

2. Will changing my field as a scientist hurt my career?

Not necessarily. It depends on your specific circumstances and how you approach the change. It may take some time to adjust and build up your expertise in a new field, but it can also open up new opportunities and advancement in your career.

3. How do I know if changing my field is the right decision?

This can be a difficult decision to make, as it involves considering your interests, skills, and future goals. It can be helpful to seek guidance from mentors, do informational interviews with professionals in your desired field, and carefully weigh the potential benefits and challenges of making a change.

4. What steps should I take to successfully change my field as a scientist?

The first step is to thoroughly research your desired field and identify any gaps in your knowledge or skills. Then, consider pursuing additional education or training to fill those gaps. Networking with professionals in the field, attending conferences and workshops, and gaining relevant experience through internships or volunteer work can also be helpful in making a successful transition.

5. Can I change my field without starting from scratch?

It depends on how different your desired field is from your current one. Some fields may have transferable skills and knowledge, making it easier to make a change without starting from the beginning. However, in some cases, it may be necessary to go back to school or gain significant experience in the new field before making a full transition.