Heating water with amps ohms and time

In summary, the question is asking for the final temperature of 89.6g of water at 304K when 1.75A of current is run through it for 105 seconds, with a constant pressure of 1.00bar. The suggested equations to use are q=mC(Tf-Ti) and I=R/V, which can be rearranged to solve for Tf. However, the units for this calculation are unclear and may require further review of power calculations.
speny83
so if i have 89.6g water at 304K and a constant p=1.00bar and i heat it by running 1.75A through 24.7 for 105 seconds what will the final temp be?

im thinking i can take q=mC(Tf-Ti) and q=IT and I=R/V

to say that Tf= (Rt/vCm)+Ti

i can't rember that much about physics and this stuff isn't in my book, yet its on my study list...First off will this work. it appears that it would. Secondly what units would one use to do this

the best i can figure the unit work would be something like (Ω*s)/(v*K-1g-1*g) but this is one of those funny things where i don't know what that corresponds to

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ya i screwed that up bad I=V/R and I don't have any value for V so no help...what on Earth do you do to something like this?

'running 1.75A through 24.7 for 105 seconds'

24.7 what?

You need to review how power is calculated knowing electric current:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power

Hint: 1 volt times 1 amp = 1 watt of power.

Hello,

I would like to clarify that the equation you have used, q=IT, is the formula for calculating the heat generated by an electric current. However, in this case, we are looking at the heat required to raise the temperature of water, which is given by the equation q=mC(Tf-Ti) where q is the heat, m is the mass of the water, C is the specific heat capacity of water, Tf is the final temperature, and Ti is the initial temperature.

To find the final temperature, we can rearrange the equation as Tf= (q/mC) + Ti. Since we know the mass of water (89.6g), specific heat capacity of water (4.184 J/gK), and initial temperature (304K), we can calculate the heat required using the formula q=IT. We can also calculate the resistance (R) using the formula R=V/I, where V is the voltage (24.7V) and I is the current (1.75A).

Once we have the heat and resistance, we can plug them into the equation Tf= (Rt/vCm)+Ti to find the final temperature. The units for this equation would be in Kelvin (K) since we are dealing with temperature, and the other units will cancel out.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. It is important to remember to always use the correct equations and units when solving scientific problems.

What is the relationship between amps, ohms, and time when heating water?

The relationship between amps, ohms, and time when heating water is determined by Ohm's law, which states that the amount of current (amps) flowing through a material is directly proportional to the voltage (ohms) and inversely proportional to the resistance (ohms) of that material. In other words, the higher the amps and voltage, the faster the water will heat up, while increasing resistance will slow down the heating process.

How do amps, ohms, and time affect the temperature of water?

Amps, ohms, and time all play a role in determining the temperature of water. As mentioned before, higher amps and voltage will lead to a faster heating process, while increasing resistance will slow it down. Additionally, the longer the water is exposed to electric current (time), the more heat energy will be transferred to the water, resulting in a higher temperature.

What is the formula for calculating the energy needed to heat water using amps, ohms, and time?

The formula for calculating the energy needed to heat water using amps, ohms, and time is E = I² x R x t, where E is the energy in joules, I is the current in amps, R is the resistance in ohms, and t is the time in seconds. This equation is based on Joule's first law, which states that the amount of heat energy produced by an electric current is directly proportional to the square of the current and the resistance, and the time for which the current flows.

How can the efficiency of heating water using amps, ohms, and time be improved?

The efficiency of heating water using amps, ohms, and time can be improved by minimizing the resistance in the heating element, as higher resistance will result in more energy loss and slower heating. Additionally, using a higher voltage power supply can increase the current flow and decrease the heating time. However, it is important to note that safety precautions should always be taken when handling high voltage electricity.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using amps, ohms, and time to heat water?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using amps, ohms, and time to heat water. First, make sure to always use a properly insulated and grounded power supply to avoid electric shocks. Additionally, avoid touching the heating element or the water while it is being heated, as it can cause burns. It is also important to closely monitor the temperature of the water to prevent overheating and potential hazards. Lastly, always follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when using any electrical appliances.