The Bourbaki style VS the organic style

• Thread starter theoristo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Organic
In summary, the debate over Bourbaki's methods and the classification of mathematicians as left-brained or right-brained ultimately comes down to personal preference and individual style. V.I Arnold, along with other notable mathematicians, have been known to take a more organic and holistic approach to problem solving.
theoristo
I know there are a lot of professional mathematicians on this forum,and I'd like to know where everybody stands on the Bourbaki matter(their methods) ,does anybody (who knows a lot of math) agree(as I do),with what the illustrious mathematician V.I Arnold says here http://www.math.ru.nl/~mueger/arnold.pdf or here http://pauli.uni-muenster.de/~munsteg/arnold.html ?.Who would classify himself as a left-brained or right-brained mathematicians ?And finally does anyone know any other mathematician and textbook writer who resembles V.I Arnlod in his so called ''organic'' style?
Induction or deduction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to this question largely depends on the individual mathematician and their particular approach to problem solving. For some, induction is a preferred method; for others, deduction may be more appropriate. In terms of Bourbaki's methods, they tend to be more deductive in nature. As for V.I Arnold and his "organic" style, it is difficult to classify him as either a left-brained or right-brained mathematician as he was known for taking a holistic approach to mathematics. Other mathematicians who have been known to take a similar approach include G.H Hardy, Andrey Kolmogorov, and Hermann Weyl.

1. What is the Bourbaki style of scientific writing?

The Bourbaki style refers to a formal and rigorous approach to scientific writing that is often used in mathematics. It is characterized by its logical and axiomatic structure, use of symbols and equations, and lack of personal pronouns or references to historical context.

2. What is the organic style of scientific writing?

The organic style is a more narrative and descriptive approach to scientific writing. It often includes personal pronouns and references to historical context, and focuses on explaining the concepts and ideas in a more accessible manner.

3. How do these styles differ in terms of structure?

The Bourbaki style is more structured and follows a strict logical flow, often using symbols and equations to represent concepts. The organic style is more free-flowing and may use anecdotes or examples to illustrate ideas.

4. Which style is more commonly used in scientific writing?

The Bourbaki style is more commonly used in fields such as mathematics and theoretical physics, where precision and formalism are highly valued. The organic style is more common in fields such as biology and social sciences, where a more approachable writing style is preferred.

5. Is one style better than the other?

Neither style is inherently better than the other. The choice of style depends on the field of study, the intended audience, and the personal preferences of the author. Both styles have their own strengths and can effectively communicate scientific ideas.