Universal Mountain/Sea Thermometer

In summary, the 0 and 100 degrees C. are established at standard pressure. While water will boil at less than 100* at high altitude, the thermometer won't change to show it as 100*.
kleinwolf
Taking the definition we have in Europe (I don't know the US version of it) of temperature (we use Celsius Degree here most of the time) : 0° is defined as the triple point of water, and 100° the boiling point. Then I suppose it is usual to make a linear approx (dilatation is linear in first approx)..but then this should give altitude dependent thermometer ??

Science news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure that I understand your question. The 0 and 100 degrees C. are established at standard pressure. While water will boil at less than 100* at high altitude, the thermometer won't change to show it as 100*. (Damn, I wish this PC had a degree sign. :grumpy: )

alt+0176 Danger...

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Now I'm even more baffled, Fred. I tried what you said, and as soon as I entered alt017 PF closed and kicked me back to IE. Never even had a chance to hit 6. :confused:

You have to use the numbers on the number key pad, not the ones near the QWERTY. I If I try to do it on my laptop, it does the same thing.

high temperature adversely affect PC working. But does pressure affect?

Thanks, Fred. I'm still not used to stupid PC's, and the NumLock on this one wasn't engaged. Macs don't have keypads. °°° :smile:

Yes, I think there is a lack in this defintion, we don't say the amount of impurities (ions, or isotopes of water), which makes verxy precise building of thermometer not easy...By the way, does somebody know where the convention T=25°C and P=1025hPa comes from...or it other convention in other countries (in fact i don't even know the European one)...

Can't tell you what this week's IUPAC-IUPAP conventions are, but the b.p. got scrapped long time ago.
The Kelvin scale is defined by absolute zero and the triple point of water. The Kelvin is 1/273.16 of the temperature difference between the triple point of "Vienna Water" (?), don't quote me on "Vienna," and absolute zero. Takes care of the composition question, and of pressure. b.p. of water at one atmosphere is 99.xyz oC, and 0 oC is still 273.15 K.
Help any?

(Yes, this is exactly the point, there is 1/100 per scaling unit difference between K and °C...??) But technically speaking, how to do calibrate a thermometer at 0K ?

FredGarvin said:
alt+0176 Danger...
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Of course if you were on a MACINTOSH computer you would just press option+k. K for Kelvin.

Mk, you goof... it's Option-0 on my G3. :tongue:
I also got one by accident once with a Command-Option-? combo.

1. What is a Universal Mountain/Sea Thermometer?

A Universal Mountain/Sea Thermometer is a scientific instrument used to measure temperature in both mountainous and aquatic environments. It is designed to withstand extreme weather conditions and water pressure, making it a versatile tool for researchers and explorers.

2. How does a Universal Mountain/Sea Thermometer work?

A Universal Mountain/Sea Thermometer uses a bi-metallic strip, which consists of two different types of metal bonded together. As the temperature changes, the two metals expand at different rates, causing the strip to bend. This bending is then converted into a linear motion and displayed on a calibrated scale, giving an accurate temperature reading.

3. What are the benefits of using a Universal Mountain/Sea Thermometer?

The main benefit of using a Universal Mountain/Sea Thermometer is its versatility. It can be used in a variety of environments, including high altitudes and underwater, making it a valuable tool for scientists studying climate change, geology, and marine life. It also provides precise and reliable temperature readings, which are essential for accurate data analysis.

4. How is a Universal Mountain/Sea Thermometer different from other thermometers?

A Universal Mountain/Sea Thermometer is specifically designed to withstand harsh conditions, such as extreme temperatures, water pressure, and rugged terrain. It is also more accurate and reliable than traditional thermometers, making it a preferred choice for scientific research and exploration.

5. Can a Universal Mountain/Sea Thermometer be used by non-scientists?

While a Universal Mountain/Sea Thermometer is primarily used by scientists and researchers, it can also be used by non-scientists for outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, and boating. Its durability and accuracy make it a useful tool for monitoring weather conditions and ensuring safety in various environments.