Amplification of energy by a pulley and a a balance?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a weightless balance and a pulley system to produce electricity through the use of oscillation and potential energy differences. However, the idea is questioned as it seems to violate the laws of thermodynamics and it is pointed out that there needs to be two stages for amplification to occur in a power amplifier. The conversation also touches on the use of gravitational force and hydroelectricity generation, but it is noted that this is not a closed system and cannot produce energy indefinitely. Lastly, the practicality of the proposed system is questioned due to the unequal arm lengths and the need for an external energy source to restart the cycle.
eosphorus
i rise 10 tons 10 m up by lowering ten tons 10 m down with a pulley

i connect the weights with a weightless balance i use the oscillation of the balance to produce electricity with an electric motor, when the weights reach the initial altitude the process is repeated

can anyone explain what's wrong with this assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself where your energy is coming from.

When you use an electric motor to produce electricity, you are taking energy out of the system.

Besides, you'll always lose energy to friction, so you can't even break even.

you don't know how a balance works, the key of it is the vertical fixed arm

consider a big balance with 10 tons in each side with 1 m vertical arm, it starts from total verticallity and try to stop from reaching horizontallity does that produce energy? and you put the weights workless by a pulley into a potential diference that can be as big as you want, one up the other down, but that the balance the bigger the potential energy difference the bigger the energy produced when levelling

some may say that if you have a 1 m vertical arm both weights lose 1 m of potential energy when they level

to avoid this take the weights 100 m up and 100 m down take 1 m vertical arm and to not lower the weights farther than their origin make one arm 99 meters and the other 101 m, this way the weigths will always have the same shared potential energy and the balance will still tend to horizontallity, not a perfect horizontallity but certainly won't be vertical

I know full well how a balance works, thank you!

How are you going to extract energy from this system? What makes the weights keep cycling up and down? How does your idea not violate the laws of thermodynamics?

eosphorus said:
I rise 10 tons 10 m up by lowering ten tons 10 m down with a pulley
There is nothing wrong with your assumption has long as you remain with your machine and continue the process above that you call "I rise". In this example, "you" are the external energy source, and what you are trying to do is determine if "amplification" of the energy you put into the system occurs where the oscillations at the focal point are used to produce energy. However, it is my understanding that in power amplifier of this type the process must involve two stages, e.g., two coupled systems. So, where are the "two stages" in your system that would allow the amplification to occur ?

Brew - Ask yourself where your energy is coming from.

The energy is coming from the gravitational force.

Yes, the gravitational force can be explored as much as you need. You may have hard about hydroelectricity generation. The gravitational energy is used to produced force to rotate turbine there. Anyway 10 tons! And they in oscillatory motion! Just think on the tension you need on the string. Thus the string needs to be strong as well as flexible

Vaishakh, how on Earth do you consider a hydroelectric generator a closed system? It doesn't pump its own water back up.

this is an ideal thought experiment

i start at 0 altitude and have 10 tons 1000m up and ten tons 1000 m down

1 m above 0 i put an axe so the balance has 1 m vertical arm and 999m on the upper arm and 1001 m in the lower arm

the balance will level the weight to some extension it will produce huge ammounts of energy when passing from 2000m diference to almost 0, i store that energy

now i have the weights more levelled but i put them again 1000 m up and down with a pulley using almost no energy though now i have plenty and repeat the process of the balance closing the system

you may ask how i switch from weightless frictionless pulley to weightless balance but that's what ideal experiments are good for you can do it

eosphorus said:
this is an ideal thought experiment
i start at 0 altitude and have 10 tons 1000m up and ten tons 1000 m down
1 m above 0 i put an axe so the balance has 1 m vertical arm and 999m on the upper arm and 1001 m in the lower arm
the balance will level the weight to some extension it will produce huge ammounts of energy when passing from 2000m diference to almost 0, i store that energy

No it won't. The centre of mass of the system lies below your datum, therefore the arms will not move, assuming the weights and the pivot are colinear.

now i have the weights more levelled

Ahh, but you don't. Because the arms aren't equal length, the rising weight would not have traveled the same distance as the falling weight.

but i put them again 1000 m up and down with a pulley using almost no energy

In order to get back to the situation they started off in, ie the same altitudes, you'll need the same amount of energy you generated while the weight was falling. (In fact, you'll need a little bit more to overcome your losses, but you know this).

Last edited:
vaishakh said:
Brew - Ask yourself where your energy is coming from.
The energy is coming from the gravitational force.
Yes, the gravitational force can be explored as much as you need. You may have hard about hydroelectricity generation. The gravitational energy is used to produced force to rotate turbine there.

Yes, but you can't just magically put the water back into the top reservoir and start the cycle again!

"No it won't. The centre of mass of the system lies below your datum, therefore the arms will not move, assuming the weights and the pivot are colinear"

the balance its not colinear it has one meter vertical arm

"Ahh, but you don't. Because the arms aren't equal length, the rising weight would not have traveled the same distance as the falling weight"

remember that the balance axe is 1 m above 0 level so when the balance oscillates and levels for a moment both weights will be at 0 level

"In order to get back to the situation they started off in, ie the same altitudes, you'll need the same amount of energy you generated while the weight was falling"

in the case of a 0 friction pulley i need 0 work to get to the initial position but a 1 m vertical arm huge balance produces huge ammounts of energy remember that both potential energies add 0 but for a balnce its not 0

i know all that about conservation of energy i just ask what's wrong with my assumption

eosphorus said:
in the case of a 0 friction pulley i need 0 work to get to the initial position but a 1 m vertical arm huge balance produces huge ammounts of energy remember that both potential energies add 0 but for a balnce its not 0
As brewnog explained, the only way the balance could produce "huge amounts of energy" is if the gravitational PE of the masses were reduced by having them lower and raise different amounts. (Are you treating the balance as a simple lever?)

i know all that about conservation of energy i just ask what's wrong with my assumption
Not sure that you do. In any case, as usual, your description is so unclear that it's hard to pinpoint the incorrect assumption. Can you draw a picture of your device?

yes of course oscillation is a tough part. i agree with all. i just said that gravitational energy is something that is a explored to generate electricity as also a standard one. infact to maintain os cilation in the wy euphorus explained is also a very tough part. i don't think this works in an ideal situation that the process goes once a jerk is given to the object in top position

eosphorus said:
i know all that about conservation of energy

OK, why don't you tell us what you've learned about energy? Basic defintions, measurement, it's relationship with work, that sort of thing.

ill be more concise:

with an ideal pulley can i rise 10 tons 10 km up by lowering ten tons ten km down with neglectable energy?

now take a squared paper and draw in it a centered spot, that's the 0 altitude, 10 squares above put one weight and ten squares underneath it another and unite them by a line, the axe of the balance is 1 square above the 0 point and 1 square to the right, now unite the axe and the balance arm with an one square horizontal line

the balance has a vertical arm of 1 square or 1 km one top or left arm of 9 squares and one bottom or right arm of 11 squares

would produce this giantic balance energy when passing from verticallity to horizontallity?

would both weights ever be lower than the 0 point?

wouldnt both weights both reach 0 point in the balance oscillation?

would this energy produced by the balance be bigger than the energy used to rise and lower the weights with the pulley?no, whynot?

im not here to believe I am here to learn, but no by faith but by questioning

by the way i dissagree in the way you consider a balance does not produce energy when unlevelled because the potential energy adds 0

if you take a balance with a big vertical arm and rise a weight the same you lower the other weight it will produce energy when levelling, if not put your finger in the gearing

I noticed that you avoided addresing pervect's question to you. Why is that? You claim to want to learn, but how are you supposed we could help you to learn when you refuse to reveal what you understand? You use the same "words" from physics, but from what I've seen in your postings so far (in this and other threads), you have a very different way of understanding what they mean.

Clearify what you understand. If not, you will ALWAYS misunderstand what others are trying to explain to you. Or is this problem not obvious?

Zz.

eosphorus said:
ill be more concise:
What's needed is clarity, not concision.

with an ideal pulley can i rise 10 tons 10 km up by lowering ten tons ten km down with neglectable energy?
OK.

now take a squared paper and draw in it a centered spot, that's the 0 altitude, 10 squares above put one weight and ten squares underneath it another and unite them by a line, the axe of the balance is 1 square above the 0 point and 1 square to the right, now unite the axe and the balance arm with an one square horizontal line

the balance has a vertical arm of 1 square or 1 km one top or left arm of 9 squares and one bottom or right arm of 11 squares
Much better. Now I understand what you're talking about.

would produce this giantic balance energy when passing from verticallity to horizontallity?
No. First thing to realize is that when it swings from vertical to horizontal the net change in potential energy is zero. The initial vertical position has the center of mass at zero altitude; so does the final horizontal position. It will reach the horizontal position with zero kinetic energy. (The horizontal position is not the equilibrium position for this thing.)

would both weights ever be lower than the 0 point?
No.

wouldnt both weights both reach 0 point in the balance oscillation?
No. The midpoint of the oscillation will be where the center of mass (midway between the masses) is directly under the support point. This means that the midpoint is where the thing is at a 45 degree angle to the vertical, not when it's horizontal. Of course, the masses will have kinetic energy at this midpoint, since they have lost potential energy.

would this energy produced by the balance be bigger than the energy used to rise and lower the weights with the pulley?no, whynot?
The only energy "produced" by the balance is that due to the masses falling to a lower position. Both masses fall the same distance. To reload the balance (if you use up the energy) you'd have to raise both masses--which takes energy to do. (Your pulley system won't help you, since both masses must be raised to their initial positions.)

im not here to believe I am here to learn, but no by faith but by questioning
Study this setup carefully and maybe you'll learn something about conservation of energy.

eosphorus said:
by the way i dissagree in the way you consider a balance does not produce energy when unlevelled because the potential energy adds 0
if you take a balance with a big vertical arm and rise a weight the same you lower the other weight it will produce energy when levelling, if not put your finger in the gearing

By no means am I trying to be rude here, but I think that you are missing the point(s) of the advise given. That's OK! As long as you are willing to learn, all is good.
What you are proposing involves a classic set of errors. Look at it this way: You set-up a weighted mechanical system and "prime" it to effect motion.
Fine. Easily done, and thus "one-shot" arrangements can be designed in an infinite number of ways. But, to internally "cycle" the effect is what you are after. So, you set-up an arrangement that attempts the cycling in such a way that it brings the system back into an "original state"

Well, in a "closed system" this can not happen. The closest one gets is a protracted "dampening", whereby each successive cycle is LESS in effect than the one before it and, most importantly, the cummulative effect is less than the original "priming" energy. So, in the end, I LOSE energy. If during the cycle I attempt to "tap" the effect to generate power, the dampening occurrs much more quickly, and I will still never extract more energy than was put into it.

Another common misconception is with regards to pulleys, levers and similar devices. I can easily construct a pulley arrangement that permits me to lift 1,000 lbs by applying only 1 lb of force. Seems like I'm getting more "out" of the system than I put in, doesn't it?
In reality, to lift that 1,000 lb weight 1-foot, I would have to pull the other end of that simple pulley system(at 1 lb of force) 1,000 feet !
With compound pulleys I can dramatically reduce the length required(the 1,000 feet) but it REQUIRES that I pull with much greater force.
So, with a compound pulley system, to lift 1,000 lbs 1-foot might only require 20-feet of draw, but demands 50-lbs of force apllied during that 20-foot draw.
If one does the math, one sees that NOTHING is gained. In true reality there are frcitional aspects to consider, such that one can never "break even" much less "gain"

pallidin - a nice reply, but I have the impression that eosphorus needs more work on the basics, like work = force * distance, and that work represents the change in energy of a system.

pallidin said:
Another common misconception is with regards to pulleys, levers and similar devices.
Your comments are of course true, but note that this is one error that eosphorus does not make. His pulley arrangement has one mass rise while the other lowers; ignoring friction loses, one can certainly raise and lower these balanced masses with no added energy. His error is more subtle--a misunderstanding of what actually happens when his "balance" is released from a vertical position.

i would really appreciate you point me to my mistake because since I've drawn it in the paper a 1000 times and since i see it working i think ill build it

i have a squared paper with a 0 altitude reference, 10 squares above and 10 below i put two weights and the axe of the balnce 1 square up and right of the 0 point

i let it oscillate with no friction the balance will convert potential energy to kinetic and to potential, the balance will go from left to right and to left, from verticality to almost verticality to verticality and so on

the balance starts vertical and goes to almost vertical on the other side,now i connect the electric engine and as the balance tends to horizontallity i take the energy till the balance gets horizontal with both weights at 0 point altitude

whats exactly wrong with this last assumption?

eosphorus said:
i let it oscillate with no friction the balance will convert potential energy to kinetic and to potential, the balance will go from left to right and to left, from verticality to almost verticality to verticality and so on

the balance starts vertical and goes to almost vertical on the other side,now i connect the electric engine and as the balance tends to horizontallity i take the energy till the balance gets horizontal with both weights at 0 point altitude
You assume that the balance goes from vertical on one side to (almost) vertical on the other side. Not so! Remember, you made this balance lopsided by placing the pivot away from its center.

No matter how the balance swings, its center of mass will not rise higher than its initial position. The initial height of the CM is at the 0 position. As the balance swings down, the CM will reach its lowest position when it is directly beneath the pivot point: at this point the CM has dropped [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] squares from its initial position and the balance has its maximum kinetic energy. (The balance is at a 45 degree angle at this point.) The balance will continue to swinging until its CM is once again at a height of 0: this occurs when the balance is horizontal. Note that the balance will only swing until it's horizontal; it will it will never reach vertical on the other side: not enough energy! If there is no friction, the balance will oscillate between vertical and horizontal.

my assumption is wrong as doc al pointed the balance will go from verticallity to horizontallity and to verticality and so on not to almost verticallity as i had assumed

Regardless of the dynamics of mechanical movement, it is important to understand that energy is required to "set-up" the event.
The question you must ask yourself is this:
Is the energy extracted greater than the the energy applied to "set-up" the event?
In ALL mechanical arrangments the answer is no.

What is amplification of energy?

Amplification of energy is the process of increasing the amount of energy that can be produced or transferred by a system. In the case of a pulley and a balance, it refers to the ability of these tools to multiply the input force and generate a greater output force.

How does a pulley amplify energy?

A pulley works by changing the direction of the force applied to it. When a force is applied downwards on one end of the rope, the other end of the rope, connected to the load, moves upwards. This results in a change in direction of the force, which effectively amplifies the force by the number of ropes supporting the load.

How does a balance amplify energy?

A balance, also known as a lever, amplifies energy through the use of a fulcrum and an effort arm. When a force is applied to one end of the lever, the fulcrum acts as a pivot point and the effort arm moves upwards. This results in a change in direction of the force, effectively amplifying it by the ratio of the length of the effort arm to the load arm.

What are the advantages of using a pulley and a balance for energy amplification?

One advantage of using a pulley and a balance is that they allow for the use of smaller input forces to move larger loads. This makes it easier for humans to perform tasks that would otherwise be too physically demanding. Additionally, these tools also allow for more precise control over the movement of the load.

Are there any limitations to using pulleys and balances for energy amplification?

One limitation of using pulleys and balances is that they are not 100% efficient, meaning that some energy is lost in the amplification process. Additionally, the use of multiple pulleys or a longer lever arm can result in slower movement of the load, which may not be ideal for certain tasks.