How can we find the volume of an ellipsoid using an integral?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of an ellipsoid using an integral. The formula for a spheroid and a general ellipsoid are discussed, with a link provided for further explanation. The final answer for the volume of an ellipsoid is V = \frac{4}{3}\pi abc, derived through the triple integral method. The use of a specific method from a website is also mentioned.
-=nobody=-
Well, I have a small problem. I know the general formula for the volume of an ellipsoid. But I have a task to find it with the help of an integral. Can you explain me how to do this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
-=nobody=- said:
Thank you very much, the information is great.
And can you write the formula like in https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=577097&postcount=12" but for an ellipsoid where a, b and c are different.

No, that's for a spheroid (two axes equal). For the general ellipsoid use the triple integral method. Of course the final answer comes out to a simple [tex]V = \frac{4}{3}\pi abc[/tex], it's just the derivation that's involved.

1. What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles an elongated sphere. It is defined as a surface that is obtained by rotating an ellipse about one of its axes.

2. How is the volume of an ellipsoid calculated?

The formula for calculating the volume of an ellipsoid is V = (4/3)πabc, where a, b, and c are the three semi-axes of the ellipsoid. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula V = (4/3)πr1r2r3, where r1, r2, and r3 are the three radii of the ellipsoid.

3. What are the units for the volume of an ellipsoid?

The units for the volume of an ellipsoid depend on the units used for its semi-axes or radii. For example, if the semi-axes are measured in meters, the volume will be in cubic meters (m3).

4. Can the volume of an ellipsoid be negative?

No, the volume of an ellipsoid cannot be negative. It is a measure of the amount of space occupied by the ellipsoid and therefore must be a positive value.

5. How does the volume of an ellipsoid compare to that of a sphere?

The volume of an ellipsoid is generally larger than that of a sphere with the same semi-axes or radii. The difference in volume between an ellipsoid and a sphere increases as the eccentricity (deviation from a perfect sphere) of the ellipsoid increases.