How Do You Simplify and Solve Logarithmic Equations?

• Thread starter vijay123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to simplify the expression ((logx)/(log4))^2=((logx^5)/(log4))-4. The suggested method is to use the fact that log(a^b) = b*log(a) to rewrite the equation and then collect terms on the left-hand side. It is then pointed out that this is a linear or quadratic equation depending on how it is interpreted.
vijay123
1) ((logx)/(log4))^2=((logx^5)/(log4))-4

how do you these problmes...i mean..is there anyway of simplfing the expression ...i am stuck..
regards
vijay

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact [itex]\log {a^b} = b\log{a}[/itex] and simplify.

yea...i used it...but this sum is different..seriously..try it

Can you show your work?

mr neutrino...
i can show my work but it is too long...
i ll jus ask you a simple question...
what is (logx/log4)^2...i mean...how do you simplyfy it in terms of logx^5/log4?

First, write your equation as:
[tex](\frac{\log(x)}{\log(4)})^{2}=(\frac{\log(4)}{\log(x^{5})})^{4}[/tex]
Then, collect the terms on the LHS and rewrite your equation as:
[tex](\frac{\log(x)}{\log(4)}-(\frac{\log(4)}{\log(x^{5})})^{2})*(\frac{\log(x)}{\log(4)}+(\frac{\log(4)}{\log(x^{5})})^{2})=0[/tex]
Now, you should be able to continue a bit!

vijay123 said:
what is (logx/log4)^2...i mean...how do you simplyfy it in terms of logx^5/log4?

Actually you've got to simplify the second term (logx^5/log4) using the rule I mentioned earlier, and then see if the resulting equation resembles something you've come across before. Remember that log4 is just a constant; don't worry too much about that part.

Last edited:
arildno said:
First, write your equation as:
[tex](\frac{\log(x)}{\log(4)})^{2}=(\frac{\log(4)}{\log(x^{5})})^{4}[/tex]
Then, collect the terms on the LHS and rewrite your equation as:
[tex](\frac{\log(x)}{\log(4)}-(\frac{\log(4)}{\log(x^{5})})^{2})*(\frac{\log(x)}{\log(4)}+(\frac{\log(4)}{\log(x^{5})})^{2})=0[/tex]
Now, you should be able to continue a bit!

I believe it was a -4 at the end, and not a power, unless it was a typo.

That minus sign was removed by flipping the fraction. :smile:

EDIT:
Oh dear, it was MINUS 4 not that the exponent was minus 4 as I thought..:cry:

arildno said:
Oh dear, it was MINUS 4 not that the exponent was minus 4 as I thought..:cry:
Exactly. :)

Can this be solved analytically?

Beam me down said:
Can this be solved analytically?
Of course.
It is a linear equation in the variable log(x).

arildno said:
Of course.
It is a linear equation in the variable log(x).
Not quadratic?

neutrino said:
Not quadratic?
It might be..:uhh:

Assuming this is
[tex]\left(\frac{log x}{log 4}\right)^2= \frac{log x^5}{log 4}- 4[/tex]
and not
[tex]\left(\frac{log x}{log 4}\right)= \left(\frac{log x^5}{log 4}\right)^{- 4}[/tex]
as I also initially interpreted it, let y= log x. since log x5= 5 log x, this can be written as
[tex]\frac{1}{(log 4)^2}y^2- \frac{5}{log 4} y+ 4= 0[/tex]
a quadratic equation for y.
("log 4" is, of course, simply a constant.)

What are logarithms and how do they work?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that are used to determine the power to which a base number must be raised to produce a given number. In other words, they help solve exponential equations. For example, if log2(8) = x, then 2x = 8. Logarithms are the inverse of exponential functions and can be solved using exponent rules.

What are the properties of logarithms?

There are several properties of logarithms, including the product, quotient, and power rule. The product rule states that the logarithm of a product of two numbers is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual numbers. The quotient rule states that the logarithm of a quotient of two numbers is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the individual numbers. The power rule states that the logarithm of a number raised to a power is equal to the product of that power and the logarithm of the number.

How do you solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you must first isolate the logarithm on one side of the equation. Then, you can use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation and solve for the variable. It may also be helpful to convert the logarithmic equation into an exponential equation, as this can make it easier to solve.

What are the common applications of logarithms?

Logarithms are frequently used in fields such as mathematics, science, engineering, and finance. They are used to solve exponential equations, measure the intensity of earthquakes and sound, and calculate the pH of a solution. In finance, logarithms are used to calculate compound interest and to measure the rate of return on investments.

How do you graph logarithmic functions?

The graph of a logarithmic function is a curve that is asymptotic to the x-axis. To graph a logarithmic function, you can plot a few key points by substituting different values for x into the function. You can also use the properties of logarithms to shift, stretch, or reflect the graph. It may also be helpful to use a graphing calculator to visualize the graph and determine the domain and range of the function.