Request for new math symbol

• Thread starter saltydog
  • Start date
In summary, we can display an integral sign with a square contour over it using the command \sqint, which is found in the pxfonts package. It is possible to animate this symbol in Latex, such as showing the square moving over the integral sign. To place the square on the other side, a negative sign can be used with the command.
saltydog
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Can we display an integral sign with a square contour over it. The command is:

\sqint

I think it's in the pxfonts package.

Thanks,
Salty

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \int \! \! \! \! \! \! \square [/tex]

This what you're looking for?

Hurkyl said:
[tex] \int \! \! \! \! \! \! \square [/tex]

This what you're looking for?

My goodness . . . thanks. One day I'll help you with something.:smile:

that has six exclamation points. I am curious to see what it is like with just 3

[tex] \int \! \! \! \square [/tex]

with four
[tex] \int \! \! \! \! \square [/tex]

and with five
[tex] \int \! \! \! \! \! \square [/tex]

OK :smile:

Last edited:
\int \! \! \! \! \! \square

I definitely love this symbols!:approve:

Can we do animation with Latex? Transit of the square over the integral sign, or simple harmonic motion of the square. Btw, do we put a negative ! for the square to go on the other side? o:)

[tex]\int \-! \-! \-! \-! \-! \square [/tex]
=====
EDIT: So that's what it looks like with a minus sign! :biggrin:

Last edited:

What is a "Request for new math symbol"?

A "Request for new math symbol" is a formal proposal made by mathematicians or scientists to introduce a new symbol that represents a mathematical concept or operation. This request is typically made to mathematical organizations or publishers.

Who can make a "Request for new math symbol"?

Anyone can make a "Request for new math symbol", but it is usually made by mathematicians or scientists who have identified a need for a new symbol in their field of study. These individuals have a deep understanding of mathematics and are able to provide a clear explanation of why the new symbol is necessary.

Why are new math symbols needed?

New math symbols are needed to represent new concepts or operations that arise in mathematics. As mathematics continues to evolve and new discoveries are made, the need for new symbols may arise to accurately and efficiently communicate these concepts.

How are new math symbols created and approved?

New math symbols are typically created by mathematicians and scientists who propose a new symbol and provide a detailed explanation of its meaning and usage. This proposal is then reviewed by mathematical organizations and publishers, who will determine if the symbol is necessary and if it meets certain criteria for acceptance.

How long does it take for a new math symbol to be approved and implemented?

The timeline for approving and implementing a new math symbol can vary. It may take several months or even years for the proposal to be reviewed and accepted by mathematical organizations and publishers. Once accepted, it may take additional time for the symbol to be widely adopted and included in textbooks and other educational materials.