In what ways can a cloud chamber be built without relying on dry ice?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's attempt to build a cloud chamber using a method found online involving an empty pickle jar, felt, and dry ice. However, they encountered several problems and are now looking for alternative plans for a cloud chamber that does not rely on dry ice. Wilson's original cloud chamber is mentioned, where he used a piston to quickly reduce pressure and create supercooled gas molecules. The possibility of using superheated water vapor is also mentioned.
amwreck
I want to build a cloud chamber. I have tried one approach for which I found directions online. Unfortunately it didn't work out for me. In short, I used an empty pickle jar with felt glued into the bottom of the jar. I poured in 91% Isopropyl alcohol to saturate the felt. I screwed the metal cap on and flipped it over into the top of a styrofoam cooler where I had a cut a hole to allow it to pole through to the inside of the cooler. Inside the cooler was a block of dry ice that the jar cap rested on. I did see small droplets from the alcohol as it cooled and fell towards the bottom of the chamber.

The problems I came up with in this method:

1) As the dry ice sublimates, it shrinks and loses contact with the metal cap on the jar, thus stalling the cooling process.

2) The pickle jar is made of very imperfect glass and I think it would be impossible to see any events even if the project had been successful.

3) I got fed up with dealing with the cooler and just sat the jar on top of the dry ice on my counter. I eventually left the room and forgot to check back on the jar until I heard a loud crash as the jar fell to the kitchen floor. Oh well, the jar sucked anyway! :)

4) I don't like dealing with dry ice because the store only sells it in 10lb. quantities if you show up on the day it is delivered. At $1 per pound, it's just a waste of money becaus I'm not using most of the dry ice before it sublimates anyways.

5) It was suggested to use 95% iso instead of 91% but I don't know where to buy it. Also, Ethyl or Methyl are supposed to give better results, but again, I don't know where to buy it.

So, this all leads me to this question. Does anyone know of any plans online for building a cloud chamber more like the original Wilson cloud chamber? I believe he used a piston to quickly reduce the pressure in the enclosed system, causing the gas molecules to expand rapidly and cause supercooling. Either way, I want to make a reusable cloud chamber that does not rely on dry ice. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
amwreck said:
Either way, I want to make a reusable cloud chamber that does not rely on dry ice. Any help would be great.

Hi Trainwreck,

It seems that you can either use supercooled (dry ice) or superheated (near boiling) water vapor. Wilson used the heated supersaturated water which was then rapidly cooled.

Ok, so was water vapor allowed into a chamber that was rapidly expanded using a piston-type of setup?

In the one that I was going to make (13 years ago) you held a rubber diaphragm in and then release it causing the supersaturated air to quickly cool

What is a cloud chamber and how does it work?

A cloud chamber is a device used to detect and track the path of subatomic particles, such as alpha and beta particles. It works by creating a supersaturated environment of alcohol vapor and then using a radioactive source to ionize the vapor, creating a visible track of the particle's path.

What materials do I need to build a cloud chamber?

The basic materials needed to build a simple cloud chamber include a clear plastic or glass container, a source of dry ice, a radioactive source, isopropyl alcohol, and a way to seal the container to keep the vapor inside. Additional materials such as a power supply and a fan can also be used for more advanced designs.

Is it safe to use a radioactive source in a cloud chamber?

Yes, as long as proper safety precautions are taken. The most commonly used radioactive source for cloud chambers is thorium-232, which is a weak source of alpha particles and presents minimal risk to the user. However, it is important to always handle radioactive materials with caution and dispose of them properly.

Can I build a cloud chamber at home?

Yes, it is possible to build a simple cloud chamber at home using easily accessible materials. However, it is important to note that the more advanced and sensitive designs may require specialized equipment and should only be attempted by experienced individuals with proper safety training.

What can I observe with a cloud chamber?

A cloud chamber allows you to observe the paths of subatomic particles, which can provide insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter. You can also observe the effects of different types of radiation and how they interact with the vapor in the chamber. Additionally, cloud chambers can be used to detect cosmic rays and trace the paths of particles from outer space.