Geographical mathematical calculation

In summary, a geological mathematical question was asked about the height needed to catch the sunrise after a 5-mile run at the bottom of a chasm. The question asks for an approximate answer in hundreds of feet, but the exact location and meaning of the question is unclear.
joolesj
Help Physics forums,

A Geological mathematical question was posed to me recently that I need an answer to please.It goes like this:

"A roughly 5-mile run at the bottom of a chasm gets it roughly one mile closer to standing still.About how high up would you have to meander to catch the sunrise?Then it say's "Give us the answer in hundreds of feet"

Remember it ask's ABOUT how high up.I cannot figure this one out or take a guess where this is in the west(but that is where it is).I would really be Very gratefull for a correct answer and the means of obtaining it.Thanks. joolesj@msn.com

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I don't know much about geology, I have no idea what the question is asking.

You probably also want to edit your email address out to prevent spam.

I do know a little bit about geology... and I too have no idea what the question is asking.

1. What is geographical mathematical calculation?

Geographical mathematical calculation is the process of using mathematical formulas and equations to analyze and understand geographic data and patterns. It involves using tools such as maps, geographic information systems (GIS), and statistical analysis to study and make predictions about geographical phenomena.

2. What are some examples of geographical mathematical calculations?

Some examples of geographical mathematical calculations include calculating the distance between two points on a map, determining the average temperature and precipitation in a particular region, and analyzing population growth and migration patterns.

3. How is geographical mathematical calculation useful?

Geographical mathematical calculation is useful in a variety of fields, including urban planning, environmental science, and disaster management. It allows us to better understand and predict natural and human-made phenomena, make informed decisions, and plan for the future.

4. What skills are needed for geographical mathematical calculation?

To perform geographical mathematical calculations, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics and statistics, as well as a working knowledge of geography and mapping techniques. Proficiency in computer software, such as GIS and statistical analysis programs, is also important.

5. How does geographical mathematical calculation contribute to scientific research?

Geographical mathematical calculation plays a crucial role in scientific research by providing a quantitative and data-driven approach to studying geographic phenomena. It allows scientists to make accurate and evidence-based conclusions and further our understanding of the world around us.