Harness AC Current for Breadboard w/ LabPro

In summary: You can get free tone generator programs off the internet.In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of creating an AC circuit using a power supply and a breadboard. The speaker has attempted to use an extension cord connected to the wall to harness the current, but has not been successful in obtaining a sinusoidal waveform. Others in the conversation advise using a function generator or a step-down transformer for safety and accuracy. They also caution against experimenting with household mains without proper experience and supervision.
impendingChaos
Hello All,
I am currently in need of rigging an AC CIrcuit within my household in order to run through a breadboard where I can "play with it" and observe it with Vernier LabPro equiptment. My problem is that I only have a power supply at my disposal. Since a house runs on AC current is there that I can harness this current and run it through wires to my breadboard. I already attempted plugging an extension cord into the wall and then running alligator clips from the large (power) socket and small (ground) socket of the opposite end of the extension to the input and output ports of the breadboard. Viewing this with the Vernier software for current I was not able to view the markedly sinusoidal action one would expect of an AC current and it resembles the graph of when I am not running a current at all (minor highs and lows varying close to .002). Does anyone have any advice as to how to harness this current or obtain an AC from the power supply? Any advice to the above would be greatly appreciated.

-MiKael

Physics news on Phys.org
By the sounds of your set up you name should be impending doom :rolleyes:

What are the characteristics of the power supply? A power supply for what? Is it rectified, which means one will not see a sinusoidal characteristic, but perhaps a relatively constant current with some ripple.

If one wants to observe, it would be best to use an appropriate signal generator with safe voltages.

Wall current can be fatal if handled inappropriately. If one does not have experience with such equipment, it would be best to do this under the supervision of someone with experience, and in a proper laboratory.

Honestly, it sounds as if you have absolutely no idea what you're doing. You should not attempt anything with household mains without significant experience. I actually feel as though I should not give you any advice, because you are very likely to hurt yourself (or start a fire) if you continue this kind of unsupervised experimentation.

Find someone with some experience to help you in person.

- Warren

The safest way is to probably use a function generator.

(huh - my last reply got eaten somewhere :mad: )

If you really need to monitor the quality of your house's AC, look for a step-down transformer, preferably one that plugs directly into the wall, and something like 5 volts AC output. Not to be confused with the more common "wall wart" battery eliminators for consumer electronics, which rectify the AC.

If any old sinusoidal waveform will do, and you don't have a function generator, you can always use an audio test tone played through a computer sound card, or an iPod, CD player, whatever.

1. How does the LabPro harness AC current for breadboard experiments?

The LabPro uses a transformer to convert the AC current from an outlet into a lower voltage DC current that is safe for use on a breadboard.

2. Can the LabPro be used for both low and high voltage AC currents?

Yes, the LabPro can safely handle both low and high voltage AC currents, as it has built-in safety features to prevent damage to the breadboard or connected devices.

3. Is the LabPro compatible with all types of breadboards?

Yes, the LabPro is designed to be compatible with most standard breadboards, including both solderless and solderable breadboards.

4. Can the LabPro be used for experiments involving different frequencies of AC current?

Yes, the LabPro can be used for experiments involving different frequencies of AC current, as long as the voltage is within its specified range.

5. Is the LabPro easy to set up and use?

Yes, the LabPro is designed to be user-friendly and can be easily set up and used by scientists and students of all levels. It comes with clear instructions and safety guidelines for proper use.