Majoring in electrical engineering and having a hard time with physics

In summary, the person is majoring in electrical engineering and having difficulty with physics, particularly word problems. They are seeking study techniques and recommendations for resources, such as the Feynman lectures and a video series on classical mechanics.
etek
hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but i'll do it anyways... I'm currently majoring in electrical engineering and having a hard time with physics... i already finished and don't really have problems when it comes to math like calculus I, II, III, and diffy-q. however, I'm taking intro to mechanics, and i couldn't grasp the material completely... what's the best way about the study techniques for physics? does feynman lectures on physics somehow might help me? it seems like i could manipulate numbers pretty easily, but word problems in physics are killing me... i think it was 2 years ago when i took my last physics not calculus based...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've found this video series to be an excellent teaching/learning tool:

http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html#

Maybe you'll find it helpful as well. Registering with the site takes about 30 seconds, and everything is free. After that, you can watch 30 minute videos on virtually every topic in classical physics, including classical mechanics. Every video contains numerous computer-generated models and demonstrations that elucidated physical concepts the first time I watched them. Personally I think that they are of top notch quality.

Last edited:

Hello,

I understand that you are currently majoring in electrical engineering and are struggling with physics. First of all, I want to assure you that you are not alone in this struggle. Many students, even those majoring in physics, find certain concepts and topics challenging.

I would recommend that you approach physics with a problem-solving mindset. It is important to understand the underlying principles and concepts, but also to practice applying them to solve problems. This can be achieved through consistent practice of problems and seeking help from your professors or classmates when needed.

The Feynman lectures on physics are a great resource and can definitely help you in understanding the material better. However, it is important to note that they may not cover everything that you need to know for your specific course. I would suggest using them as a supplement to your course material.

In addition, I would also recommend seeking out additional resources such as online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. These can provide different perspectives and help you better understand the material.

Lastly, don't get discouraged if you are struggling with word problems. They can be challenging, but with practice and a thorough understanding of the underlying principles, you can improve in this area. Keep working hard and seeking help when needed, and I am sure you will be able to overcome these challenges. Best of luck to you in your studies!

1. Why is physics difficult for electrical engineering majors?

Physics is often considered to be a challenging subject for many students, regardless of their major. However, for electrical engineering majors, the difficulty may stem from the fact that physics concepts are often abstract and require a strong understanding of mathematics. Additionally, electrical engineering majors may struggle with physics because it covers a wide range of topics, from mechanics to electromagnetism, which can be overwhelming.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics as an electrical engineering major?

One way to improve your understanding of physics is to practice solving problems. This will help you apply the concepts you learn in class and reinforce your understanding. You can also seek help from your professor or a tutor if you are struggling with specific topics. Additionally, try to make connections between physics and electrical engineering principles, as this can help you see the relevance and practical applications of what you are learning.

3. Is it normal to struggle with physics as an electrical engineering major?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with physics as an electrical engineering major. As mentioned earlier, physics can be a challenging subject for many students, and it is common for engineering majors to find it difficult as well. It is important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace, and it is okay to ask for help if you need it.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying physics as an electrical engineering major?

Staying motivated while studying physics can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to help. First, try breaking up your study sessions into smaller, manageable chunks. This can prevent you from feeling overwhelmed and help you stay focused. Additionally, remind yourself of your long-term goals and how understanding physics is essential for your future career as an electrical engineer.

5. Are there any resources specifically for electrical engineering majors struggling with physics?

Yes, there are plenty of resources available for electrical engineering majors who are struggling with physics. Your university may offer tutoring services or study groups specifically for physics. Additionally, there are many online resources, such as video lectures and practice problems, that can help you improve your understanding of physics. Don't hesitate to reach out to your professor or academic advisor for recommendations as well.