Young's Modulus Calculation for Nylon Rope Cross Sectional Area

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the cross sectional area of a nylon rope in order to calculate Young's Modulus. The formula for the area of a circle is mentioned and it is advised to use standard units for the radius. The cross sectional area is confirmed to be pi(0.7)^2 with the note to be mindful of the units used.
kiwikahuna

Homework Statement

I'm working on a problem that is asking me to find Young's Modulus. I have the right formula and everything that I need but I can't seem to figure out how to find the cross sectional area of a nylon rope. The rope is 21 m long and 1.4 cm in diameter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the cross sectional area be the area: pi(0.7)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
kiwikahuna said:
Assuming that it has a circular cross-section (a reasonable assumption), then the area would be that of a circle ([itex]\pi r^2[/itex]). But be sure to use standard units for the radius.

kiwikahuna said:

Homework Statement

I'm working on a problem that is asking me to find Young's Modulus. I have the right formula and everything that I need but I can't seem to figure out how to find the cross sectional area of a nylon rope. The rope is 21 m long and 1.4 cm in diameter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

yes (but be careful witt the units. This will be in cm^2. You might need to put it in m^2)

EDIT: Doc Al beat me to it :-)

What is cross sectional area?

Cross sectional area is the area of a two-dimensional shape that is created when a solid object is cut perpendicular to its longest dimension.

How is cross sectional area measured?

Cross sectional area is typically measured in square units such as square meters (m^2) or square centimeters (cm^2). It can be calculated by multiplying the length and width of the cross section.

Why is cross sectional area important in science?

Cross sectional area is important in science because it can provide valuable information about the structure and composition of an object. It is often used in fields such as physics and engineering to calculate properties like resistance, strength, and fluid flow.

What are some real-world applications of cross sectional area?

Cross sectional area has many practical applications, such as determining the strength of a bridge, the flow rate of a fluid through a pipe, or the amount of radiation absorbed by a material.

How does cross sectional area relate to volume?

Cross sectional area is an important factor in calculating the volume of an object. By measuring the cross sectional area at different points along the length of an object and then adding them together, the volume of the object can be accurately determined.