Double integral coordinate transform

In summary, the conversation discusses finding new limits for a valid transformation in a double integral, where the original singular upper limits require the use of exponential functions. The speaker has tried using arbitrary functions to find constraints, but has encountered difficulty finding a fourth constraint that is different from the other three. They are seeking guidance on how to visualize the mapping from one coordinate system to another and ensure that there are no tears in the domain. If a tear is present, the domain must be divided along it.
MadMax
Basically I want to find the new limits w,x,y,z when we make the valid transformation

[tex]\int^{\infty}_0 \int^{\infty}_0 f(t_1,t_2) dt_1 dt_2 = \int^w_x \int^y_z f(st, s(1-t)) s dt ds[/tex]

I've tried putting in arbitrary functions f, and so getting 4 equations constraining the limits, but I end up with complicated equations involving exponentials, which I don't think I'd be able to solve. Also because of the original singular upper limits, the functions have to be of exponential form like e^(-t_1) e^(-t_2) etc... which means that I'm finding it difficult to come up with a fourth constraint which is different from the other 3 I have found...

Basically if I make a coordinate transform as above, considering a double integral as above, how do I find the new limits?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to visualise the mapping from coordinate (s,t) to (t1,t2) (or reverse)
with t1=st and t2=s(1-t) (or s=t1+t2 and t=t1/(t1+t2)).
In this mapping you have to check how the boundaries are transformed,
and to check if there is no tear in the domain.
In case there is a tear curve, you need to divide your domain along the tear.

What is a double integral coordinate transform?

A double integral coordinate transform is a mathematical technique used to transform a function defined over a two-dimensional region in one coordinate system into a function over another two-dimensional region in a different coordinate system. It involves integrating the function over both the x and y axes.

What is the purpose of a double integral coordinate transform?

The purpose of a double integral coordinate transform is to simplify the evaluation of integrals and to change the coordinate system of a two-dimensional region to one that is better suited for the problem at hand. It is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What are the types of double integral coordinate transforms?

There are two types of double integral coordinate transforms: Cartesian to polar and polar to Cartesian. The former transforms a function defined in terms of x and y coordinates to one defined in terms of radius and angle, while the latter does the opposite.

What are the benefits of using a double integral coordinate transform?

Using a double integral coordinate transform can make solving certain problems easier and more efficient. It can also help to simplify complicated functions and equations, making them easier to work with and analyze.

What are some applications of double integral coordinate transforms?

Double integral coordinate transforms have numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used in calculating areas and volumes of complex shapes, solving differential equations, and analyzing electromagnetic fields, among other things.