Gravity , Dark energy and Atoms

In summary: It is possible that they are nothing more than a mathematical abstraction. It is possible that atoms are held together by their own gravity field, but it is not the only force at work. The force between atoms is called an inter atomic force. This force is constantly changing and can cause atoms to move. When atoms are mostly (in the mostly liberal term) air and when the inter atomic forces are always changing, why in this split second (in the big scheme of things) they make what they are?A lot of what we make is due to the inter atomic forces. In this split second, because the forces are changing, the atoms are able to form
andyp

Hi , I am rather new to this (well just found the site today) and I was wondering weather any of you knew the answers to my questions? I have searched the internet for any theories on the questions bit without and success, and I would like to hear your views.

My first question is about gravity, where does it come from , how does it work (I know it is the force between two masses)? On Earth how does it work, does it come for the centre, if so what happens at the centre? Does it travel in a straight line or in a wave? If it does come from the centre how is it possible for it the simultaneously affect every single atom at the same time?

Secondly I would like to understand dark matter? What on Earth (well not on earth) is it. how does it fill 78% of our universe with us being able to see it. where does it come from, is dark energy what is emitted from dark holes?

Thirdly I would like to understand the simple atom. What is truly inside neutrons and protons? If atoms are mainly made up of space are they kept together by their own gravity field, being pushed and pull simultaneously? How is it possible that all these uncountable atoms, for some reason decide to drift together randomly to form what we know, to form you? When they are mostly (in the mostly liberal term) air and when the inter atomic forces are always changing, why in this split second (in the big scheme of things) they make what they are?

I know that most of these questions have not been scientifically proven, I was curious of any theories you might have? Thanks :smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
May I suggest that to avoid confusion, and to ensure your post is in the appropriate forum, that you ask ONE type of question at a time and wait for the ensuing discussion before posting another question (which may or may not fit into the existing thread). If not, you will have a jumbled answer covering various things from different places. This isn't the way to get a clear, coherent answer, at least, not in a public forum such as this.

In addition, please make sure you have reviewed the PF guidelines.

Zz.

Forty Two!

Firstly as Zapper said, having the whole of astrophysics explained to you in one post is unlikely!
Second physics generally doesn't explain how things are - it explains how they appear to behave. We have a series of models which we believe are the best explanations of observed behaviour - but there is a always a deeper level of 'but why does it do that'.
You should read some popular explanations of space and physics, look for a series of books called "in search of ..." by John Gribbin.

andyp said:
My first question is about gravity, where does it come from , how does it work (I know it is the force between two masses)? On Earth how does it work, does it come for the centre, if so what happens at the centre? Does it travel in a straight line or in a wave? If it does come from the centre how is it possible for it the simultaneously affect every single atom at the same time?
Gravity is a property of space. Space is distorted by the presence of mass which bends space. Particles in and moving through space feel the effects of the bends and move along them.
Gravity doesn't have to travel to effect a particle because the particle is moving through space that is already bent. Changes in gravity do travel at the speed of light.

Secondly I would like to understand dark matter? What on Earth (well not on earth) is it. how does it fill 78% of our universe with us being able to see it. where does it come from, is dark energy what is emitted from dark holes?
Dark energy is not a very good term - and is nothing to do with black holes etc. 'Dark' just means doesn't light up.
It seems to be a property of space which causes otherwise empty space to repel other empty space. Because of quantum effect, empty space isn't really empty. It is possible for pairs of particles to appear from no-where and repel each other, it seems that this effect is causing the universe to expand at a faster rate than we expect.

Thirdly I would like to understand the simple atom. What is truly inside neutrons and protons? If atoms are mainly made up of space are they kept together by their own gravity field, being pushed and pull simultaneously?
Inside neutrons and protons are other particles called quarks, at the moment we don't know what is inside quarks - or even if there is anything.
Gravity is much too weak a force to hold atoms together. The protons in the nuecleas are all positively charged and so would try and fly apart, they are held together by a much stronger force, similairly the quarks in individual protons and neutrons are held together by a different force.

We have theories which predict the behaviour of these forces - but that doesn't explain what they are or why they should be there.
I know this has raised more questions than it answered - that's physics!
You should probably look at some popular science books and magazines.

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of attraction between objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass or energy.

2. What is dark energy and how does it affect the universe?

Dark energy is a mysterious force that is believed to make up approximately 70% of the universe. It is responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe and is thought to counteract the force of gravity. Its exact nature and origin are still unknown, making it a subject of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.

3. What are atoms and what are they made of?

Atoms are the basic building blocks of matter. They are made up of a nucleus containing protons and neutrons, surrounded by a cloud of electrons. Protons and neutrons are made of even smaller particles called quarks. Atoms make up everything in the visible universe, from rocks and trees to the cells in our bodies.

4. How does gravity affect atoms?

Gravity acts on all objects with mass, including atoms. The force of gravity between atoms is usually very small compared to other forces such as electromagnetic forces. However, gravity can play a significant role in the formation of large objects such as planets and stars, which are made up of countless atoms.

5. Can atoms be destroyed or created?

Atoms cannot be destroyed or created in ordinary chemical reactions. However, they can be broken apart or fused together in nuclear reactions. In extreme conditions, such as in the core of stars, atoms can also be created through nuclear fusion reactions. But in general, the total number of atoms in the universe remains constant.