New Developments in Bohmian Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for an introduction to the newest developments in Bohmian mechanics and the potential for it to be a theory of everything. The responder suggests that a comprehensive review is not available but provides a link to their own contributions and discusses the potential for string theory to be derived from Bohmian mechanics. They also mention their own theory of everything hypothesis, which involves nonlocal interactions and extra spatial dimensions.
unica
recently,i read some papers about bohmian mechanics.i want someone to introduce me the newest developments in this filed,thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
unica said:
recently,i read some papers about bohmian mechanics.i want someone to introduce me the newest developments in this filed,thank you
Unfortunately, an exhaustive review of the newest developments does not exist. For a brief overview of my own new contributions see
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/0610138

Demystifier said:
Unfortunately, an exhaustive review of the newest developments does not exist. For a brief overview of my own new contributions see
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/0610138

Hello, Demystifier, I don't suppose you'd take seriously a quantum hypothesis for a theory of everything that starts by assuming a Bohmian hidden variables theory?

See http://foranewageofreason.blogspirit.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Demystifier said:
Actually, I do. Especially when I recently found out that string theory can be derived from the assumption of Bohmian mechanics:
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0705.3542

Actually I find my own theory of everything hypothesis at least difficult to reconcile with string theory because mine postulates large scale - rather that small scale - extra spatial dimensions where a cause acts nonlocally in addition to the forces, and which are deduced initially from quantum wave and entanglement behaviour.

1. What is Bohmian Mechanics?

Bohmian Mechanics, also known as the de Broglie-Bohm theory, is a theoretical framework that extends traditional quantum mechanics by incorporating a guiding equation that describes the motion of particles in addition to the standard Schrödinger equation. This theory proposes that particles have definite positions and trajectories, unlike in traditional quantum mechanics where they are described by a wave function.

2. What are the new developments in Bohmian Mechanics?

Recent developments in Bohmian Mechanics have focused on addressing some of the long-standing issues and challenges with the theory, such as the measurement problem and the inclusion of relativity. Other developments include the application of the theory to new areas, such as quantum information and cosmology.

3. How does Bohmian Mechanics explain the measurement problem?

In Bohmian Mechanics, the wave function is not considered to collapse upon measurement. Instead, the wave function describes the probability distribution of a particle's position, while the particle itself has a definite position and trajectory. This removes the need for a conscious observer to collapse the wave function and resolves the measurement problem.

4. Is Bohmian Mechanics a widely accepted theory?

Bohmian Mechanics is not as widely accepted as traditional quantum mechanics, but it has gained some support and interest from physicists. Some argue that it provides a more intuitive and complete explanation of quantum phenomena, while others criticize it for being overly complex and not fitting with experimental data.

5. How does Bohmian Mechanics incorporate relativity?

Bohmian Mechanics has been extended to incorporate relativity through the use of a relativistic guiding equation. This allows for the theory to be applied to systems that require both quantum mechanics and relativity, such as black holes. However, there are still ongoing debates and challenges in fully unifying Bohmian Mechanics with relativity.