What is the Direction and Magnitude of the Force on a Hanging Rope?

In summary, the mass is moving in the direction of the resultant force, which is in the fourth quadrant of the x-y plane.
Niles

Homework Statement

1) A block is affected by three forces, and I have found the direction and magnitude of the resulting force, and thus the direction and magnitude of the acceleration. I know that the magnitude of the velocity vector for t = 5 is 4.7 m/s and that the distance traveled for t = 5 s is 12 m.

The question is, in which direction the mass is moving at time t = 5 seconds?

It seems like I need some more info? Or am I missing the big picture here?

2) A rope is hanging from the ceiling, and I have to find the direction of the force that is exerted by the ceiling on the rope. I believe, it is upwards - and the magnitude of m*g of the rope?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the exact question for the first one? What acceleration did you get?

is t=0 the point when acceleration starts taking effect?

Your answer for the second question looks good.

I posted the _exact_ question in 1). I get the acceleration 0.92 m/s^2

what's the direction of acceleration?

I'm still a little confused about the question. But taking position at t=0 to be x=0, and taking acceleration as 0.92m/s^2, and using x=12 at t=5, solve for v at t=5s.

So use this equation:

x = v0*t + (1/2)at^2

and the velocity equation:

v = v0 + at

So you'll get v magnitude and direction... I'm not sure why they tell you the magnitude... seems like you can just calculate it.

Direction of the acceleration is 280 degrees (4. quadrant).

There are some previous questions which gave me those answers, and the last question is what I typed in #1.

Wouldn't direction require for me to have the components of v?

Niles said:
Direction of the acceleration is 280 degrees (4. quadrant).

There are some previous questions which gave me those answers, and the last question is what I typed in #1.

Wouldn't direction require for me to have the components of v?

Maybe it's better if you type in all the parts to the question. :wink:

My bad.

1) Calculate the magnitude of the total resultant force acting on the mass.

2) What angle does the resultant make with the positive x axis?

3) What is the magnitude of the mass's acceleration vector?

4) What is the direction of the acceleraton-vector? In other words, what angle does this vector make with respect to the positive x axis?

5) How far (in meters) will the mass move in 5.0 s?

6) What is the magnitude of the velocity vector of the block at t = 5?

7) In what direction is the mass moving at time t = 5? That is, what angle does the velocity vector make with respect to the positive x axis?

Wouldn't the direction of the velocity just be the direction of the acceleration? Or was there an initial velocity?

Any other information? It would be good if you could post a picture... I'm still unclear about the problem...

It is initially at rest on the surface, and the forces on the picture are:

F1 = 4N

F2 = 6N

F3 = 8N

I think it has the same direction as the acceleration.

Attachments

• 1206.jpg
    1206.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 331
Niles said:
It is initially at rest on the surface, and the forces on the picture are:

F1 = 4N

F2 = 6N

F3 = 8N

I think it has the same direction as the acceleration.

I think that it is a problem of linear dynamics. Hence as there is no initial velocity the direction of the mass would be in the direction of the resultant force. More over velocity is in the direction of the resultant force. So as learning said acc is in the direction of velocity.

Thanks guys.

1. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, the force exerted by one object on the other is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the other object.

4. How do Newton's laws of motion relate to dynamics?

Dynamics is the study of how forces affect the motion of objects. Newton's laws of motion are fundamental principles that explain the relationship between forces and motion. They provide a framework for understanding the behavior of objects in motion and how they respond to external forces.

5. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that must be overcome to set an object in motion when it is at rest. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that acts on an object in motion, slowing it down. In general, static friction is greater than kinetic friction as it takes more force to start an object moving than it does to keep it moving.