Constant acceleration help?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving an elevator cab with a total run of 190m and a maximum speed of 305m/min, and it accelerates from rest and then back to rest at 1.22m/s^2. Part a of the problem asks for the distance the cab moves while accelerating from rest to full speed. Part b asks for the time it takes for the cab to make a nonstop 190m run, starting and ending at rest. The person also asks for clarification on drawing a v-t graph and the area under the graph.
blinkbubble
I solved part a of this problem but I'm having trouble figuring out the different steps for part b...could someone break it down clearly?

A certain elevator cab has a total run of 190m and a maximum speed of 305m/min, and it accelerates from rest and then back to rest at 1.22m/s^2
a. how far does the cab move while accelerating to full speed from rest?
b. how long does it take to make the nonstop 190m run, starting and ending at rest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a v-t graph,
you know that v is contant when it reaches 350 m/min

and, what would be the area under graph?

P.S. Is this from Halliday, I solved this two days ago lol

I understand your struggle with part b of this problem. Let me break it down for you. In order to solve this problem, we need to use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and s is the distance traveled.

For part a, we can use the information given to solve for the distance traveled while accelerating to full speed. We know that the initial velocity is 0 (since the cab starts from rest) and the final velocity is 305m/min. We also know that the acceleration is 1.22m/s^2. Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

305^2 = 0^2 + 2(1.22)s
93025 = 2.44s
s = 93025/2.44 = 38093.85m

Therefore, the cab moves 38093.85m while accelerating to full speed.

For part b, we need to find the time it takes for the cab to make the nonstop 190m run. We can use the equation v = u + at, where t is the time taken. Again, we know that the initial velocity is 0 and the final velocity is 305m/min. We also know that the distance traveled is 190m. Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

305 = 0 + (1.22)t
t = 305/1.22 = 250 seconds

Therefore, it takes 250 seconds for the cab to make the nonstop 190m run, starting and ending at rest. I hope this breakdown helps you understand the problem better. Keep up the good work!

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time, while its acceleration remains constant. In other words, the object's speed increases or decreases by the same amount every second.

2. How can I calculate constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. This formula can also be rearranged to find other variables if necessary.

3. What are some real-life examples of constant acceleration?

Some real-life examples of constant acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a roller coaster moving down a hill, and a rocket launching into space. Essentially, any object that maintains a constant acceleration over a period of time is an example of constant acceleration.

4. How does constant acceleration differ from variable acceleration?

As the name suggests, constant acceleration is when the rate of change of velocity remains the same, while variable acceleration is when the rate of change of velocity changes over time. In other words, constant acceleration has a constant slope on a graph of velocity vs. time, while variable acceleration has a changing slope.

5. What is the importance of understanding constant acceleration?

Understanding constant acceleration is important in many fields, especially physics and engineering. It allows us to accurately predict the motion of objects and design systems that use constant acceleration, such as rockets and vehicles. Additionally, understanding constant acceleration helps us understand the laws of motion and the fundamental principles of how objects move.