Free HTML Editors: WYSIWYG Suggestions & Reviews

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Html
In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for a free HTML editor of WYSIWYG type. The options presented include Nvu, SeaMonkey Composer, MacroMedia Dreamweaver, Kompozer, Amaya, and Arisesoft Winsyntax. The main criteria for consideration are being free and user-friendly. Dreamweaver, although a popular and effective choice, does not meet the requirement of being free. Some suggestions and personal preferences are shared, but there is no clear consensus on which editor is the best among the options.
EL
Science Advisor
I need suggestions for nice free HTML editors of WYSIWYG type.
I have found one, "Nvu", I have started playing around with, but don't have the experience to tell wheter it is good or not. If you have any favourite ones, please let me know!

Technology news on Phys.org
I have in fact exactly the same question. I'm used to dreamweaver MX, but I don't have a 100% legal copy (I had an old copy from an old employer etc...), and for a project I'd now need a fully legal and free solution which can be distributed amongst several people, which looks as much as possible like dreamweaver...
I've also seen Nvu, and I'd like to know if it is good, or if there is better around...

If you can ignore the fact that it's not been maintained for a couple of years, sure Nvu's good.

Else, have a look at SeaMonkey Composer, it's probably quite good. (Disclaimer: Never actually used it.)

i'm using MacroMedia Dreamweaver, its worth only, i like it, more over its very comfortable and easy to worth , css also we can edit easily, compare Nuv, its effective, try it out this

The OP and the first replier asking the same question both clearly states free. Whether that's as in free beer or as in free speech, Dreamweaver clearly don't qualify.

I think I'll go for Kompozer. It's not Dreamweaver, but it seems to be usable, and it is free and still maintained. I also had a look at Amaya, but that bugged regularly on my PC.

I use Arisesoft Winsyntax simply because it's free, and has highlighting for (X)HTML, CSS, PHP, and other languages. That and it's very small/lean. Check it out: http://www.winsyntax.com/

1. What is a WYSIWYG editor?

A WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor is a type of software or tool that allows users to create and edit web pages visually, as they would appear to a viewer. This means that the user can see the final appearance of the webpage while they are editing it, without needing to know or write any code.

2. Are there any free HTML editors that offer WYSIWYG functionality?

Yes, there are many free HTML editors available that offer WYSIWYG functionality. Some popular options include KompoZer, BlueGriffon, and SeaMonkey. These editors are user-friendly and can be used by beginners or non-technical individuals to create and edit web pages.

3. How do I know which free HTML editor is best for me?

The best HTML editor for you will depend on your personal needs and preferences. Some factors to consider when choosing an editor include its features, ease of use, compatibility with your operating system, and user reviews. It is recommended to try out a few different editors to see which one works best for you.

4. Can I use a free HTML editor for professional or commercial purposes?

Yes, you can use a free HTML editor for professional or commercial purposes. However, some free editors may have limitations on their features or may require a license for commercial use. It is important to read the terms and conditions of the editor before using it for professional purposes.

5. Are there any downsides to using a WYSIWYG editor?

While WYSIWYG editors can be convenient and easy to use, they may not be as precise or customizable as manually coding a webpage. Additionally, the generated code from a WYSIWYG editor may not be as clean or efficient as hand-written code. It is important to have some knowledge of HTML and CSS to make adjustments or fix any issues that may arise in the code.