Steady state solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of finding the steady state solution for a continuous linear time invariant system with a given input and output. The methods of using laplace transforms and solving ODEs are discussed, and it is determined that in order to have a steady state solution, the solution cannot have unbounded solutions. Using laplace transforms, the e^t term can be eliminated by setting its coefficient to zero.
megamanx
[SOLVED] Steady state solution

I was wondering if I did this question correctly, solving for y(t) and putting t = infinity to get a steady state solution. Or is this wrong or is there an alternative way that is much quicker (as solving for y(t) would take a page of working, where the working out on the exam paper was less then half a page)

Homework Statement

A continuous linear time invariant system with input x(t) and output y(t) related by:

y''(t) + y'(t) - 2y(t) = x(t)

Find the stead state output of the system for x(t) = 2cos(t) + sin(200t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially used laplace transform to get Y(s) and inverse transform and put t = infinity to see what part died out over time (transient reponse), however it did not seem correct (used mathematica to double check) as I got a e^t term.

Using ODE solving methods with characteristic equation r^2 + r - 2 = 0, I solved initially the homogeneous solution which had a Ce^t term and got a similar total solution to when using laplace transforms.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't tried but you may want to assume y = a*cos(t)+b*sin(t)+c*sin(200t)+d*cos(200t) or something like that.

Yes, the solution has a e^t part, as you might expect since 1 is a root of the characteristic equation. You aren't making any mistakes. I would say that means the system is unstable to runaway solution, but I'm not sure what to do in your context. Do you just ignore it by setting the coefficient=0?

Yes, the characteristic equation r2+ r- 2= (r+ 2)(r-1) has solutions 1 and -2. In order to have a "steady state solution", you cannot have unbounded solutions. Take the "C" in "Cet" to be 0. Then the other solution, De-2t goes to 0. Your steady state solution is just the specific solution corresponding to y = a*cos(t)+b*sin(t)+c*sin(200t)+d*cos(200t).

Thanks for the replies.

I see how it works when using ODE methods now. Just a final question, how do you do this with laplace transforms.

I got:
Y(s)(s^2 + s - 2) = (2s/(1 + s^2) + 200/(40000 + s^2))

This was taking to long to evaluate by hand so I used mathematica, and the e^x term had a coefficient of 40201/120003. How can laplace transforms used to make this coefficient zero ?

1. What is a steady state solution?

A steady state solution is a state in a system where all variables remain constant over time.

2. How is a steady state solution achieved?

A steady state solution is achieved when the rate of change of a system's variables is zero, meaning there is no net input or output of the system.

3. What are some examples of steady state solutions?

Examples of steady state solutions include the temperature distribution in a room with a constant heating source, the concentration of a chemical reaction that has reached equilibrium, and the population of a species in a stable environment.

4. How is a steady state solution different from a dynamic equilibrium?

A steady state solution is a state where all variables remain constant over time, while a dynamic equilibrium is a state where the system is constantly changing, but the overall state remains the same.

5. Why is the concept of steady state solutions important in science?

Steady state solutions help us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. They are also used in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and economics to study systems that have reached a stable state.