What is the Minimum Height for Simple Harmonic Motion on a Trampoline?

• Thread starter Jalhalla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trampoline
In summary, the conversation revolves around a student's attempt to come up with a real-life scenario for a sinusoidal function in their math class. The scenario involves a person bouncing on a trampoline and the student is trying to determine the minimum value of height for the person's motion to be considered simple harmonic motion. They also discuss the possibility of changing the orientation of the springs on the trampoline and the presence of damping in the scenario.
Jalhalla

Homework Statement

For my math class, I had to come up with a real-life scenario where data that is extracted from the scenario can produce a sinusoidal function, and I have to graph the function. My scenario involves a person bouncing up and down on a trampoline, while always staying in contact with it. At rest, the taut fabric that stretches over the steel frame of the trampoline is horizontal; this horizontal is the reference level. My graph features elapsed time t as the independent variable, and the height of the person above the reference level h as the dependent variable. When I presented my idea to my teacher, he told me that the graph could not be a sinusoidal function, and I argued otherwise—that it is possible for the person to simulate simple harmonic motion on the trampoline as long as the person always stays in contact with the trampoline so that gravity is never the only force acting on the person as they bounce up; the only problem was that my scenario was incomplete—I must figure out the minimum value of h when the person dips below the reference level so that the graph is sinusoudal, i.e., so that the motion of the person on the trampoline is simple harmonic motion; I need to do this to determine the amplitude and equilibrium position of the sine wave so that I can come up with a reasonable equation. I'm currently in grade 12 and I took grade 12 physics in grade 11, so I forget some of the stuff, but I invented the following values: say the person, of mass m = 50 kg, rises 0.40 m above the reference level with each bounce (maximum value of h = 0.40); say the trampoline has 20 springs, each of force constant k = 10 N/m; and say that the y-component of x = 0.03 m. What would be the minimum value of h with each bounce? I'm pretty sure that the velocities are irrelevant, as we're dealing with the minimum and maximum positions of the person, where v and v` are both zero. So,

m = 50 kg
k = 10 N/m (there are 20 springs)
xy = 0.03 m
h = 0.40 m
g = 9.8 m/s²
x` = ?
h` = ?

I'm pretty sure that x` cannot equal x, since at the maximum gravity is acting with the force applied by the springs, and at the minimum gravity is acting against the force applied by the springs. I could use a simpler scenario, but I hate losing arguments. Any useful input would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

At the maximum of h, mg = –20kx; at the minimum, mg = 20kx` (I'm may be wrong here)

A Conservation of Energy equation(?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Solve for xy`:

(net)Fy = (net)Fy`
mg + 20kxy = mg – 20kxy`
xy` = –xy = –0.03 m

Then solve for h`:

E = E`
mgh + 10kxy² = –mgh` + 10kxy`²
h` = [mgh + 10k(xy² – xy`²)]/mg
= mgh/mg
h` = h = 0.40 m

I get h = –h`

-Paul

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your teacher is right because the trampoline is not a linear spring -- it gets stiffer with extension as the springs move nearer to the vertical.

Then let's say the springs are vertical.

If the effective stiffness of the (redesigned!) trampoline is a constant it will work (and is no different from the classic mass-on-a-spring explained in so many places).

If h is not equal to h' then the motion is not sinusoidal.

catkin said:
If the effective stiffness of the (redesigned!) trampoline is a constant it will work (and is no different from the classic mass-on-a-spring explained in so many places).

If h is not equal to h' then the motion is not sinusoidal.

I don't see how |h| = |h´|, because, at h, the force of gravity acts with the force exerted by the springs, while, at h´, the force of gravity acts against the force exerted by the springs.

Hate to say it, but this doesn't seem like a real world example anymore. First, you are assuming no damping occurs, which isn't the case. Then, you change the springs' orientation, to something pretty unlikely.

I'd say to redesign your system, as to get thus to work, you'll probably have to make it pretty outlandish. Something like the horizontal displacement of a clock's pendulum, or the change in sunrise/sunset times over a year may be better.

What is the "Trampoline Problem Me Out"?

The "Trampoline Problem Me Out" is a popular physics problem that requires understanding of concepts like kinetic and potential energy, as well as conservation of energy and momentum. It involves calculating the maximum height that a person can jump on a trampoline.

What are the key factors that affect the maximum height a person can jump on a trampoline?

The key factors that affect the maximum height a person can jump on a trampoline include the initial height of the person's center of mass, the spring constant of the trampoline, and the mass of the person. Air resistance and the angle at which the person jumps also play a role.

How can the "Trampoline Problem Me Out" be solved?

The "Trampoline Problem Me Out" can be solved using the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. This involves setting up equations for the initial and final states of the system and solving for the maximum height using algebraic manipulation.

What assumptions are made when solving the "Trampoline Problem Me Out"?

Some assumptions that are often made when solving the "Trampoline Problem Me Out" include ignoring air resistance, assuming a constant spring constant for the trampoline, and assuming the person's center of mass moves in a parabolic path.

How can the "Trampoline Problem Me Out" be applied in real life?

The "Trampoline Problem Me Out" can be applied in real life to understand the physics behind trampolines and how they work. It can also be used to calculate the maximum height that a person can jump on a trampoline, which can be useful for recreational purposes or for safety precautions when using a trampoline.