Two hydroxides doesn't matter in this problem

• Thread starter kazimmerman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, the conversation discusses the neutralization reaction between 0.150-molar HCl and 0.120-molar Ba(OH)2 and the calculation of the required volume of HCl to neutralize 25.0 milliliters of Ba(OH)2. The setup of the problem is given and the correct stoichiometric ratio is determined to be 2 moles of HCl for every mole of Ba(OH)2. The answer is found to be 40.0 mL but a discrepancy is noted as the answer given was 20.0 mL. It is concluded that the teacher made a mistake and the correct answer is 40.0 mL.
kazimmerman
I'm having trouble understanding why the fact that there are two hydroxides doesn't matter in this problem.

What volume of 0.150-molar HCl is required to neutralize 25.0 milliliters of 0.120-molar Ba(OH)2?

I thought the setup would look like this simple enough:

(25.0 mL)(.120 M)(2) = (.150 M)(V)

and the volume came out to be 40.0 mL. I assumed that the neutralization reaction looked like this:

2HCl + Ba(OH)2 --> 2H2O + BaCl2

so for each mole of Ba(OH)2 there would be two moles of HCl. However, I was told the answer was 20.0 mL. Why is the presence of two hydroxides negligible, or is the answer I was given incorrect?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
First of all, work out the reaction, what is the stoichiometric ratio of this reaction.

Secondly, work out the number of moles in both substances
then it should be basic plugging and chugging.

kazimmerman said:
I thought the setup would look like this simple enough:
(25.0 mL)(.120 M)(2) = (.150 M)(V)
I see nothing wrong with this. For each mole of Ba(OH)2 you need
2 moles of HCl to neutralize it. V=40 mL.

Thanks for the replies. I had it confirmed with my teacher today and he simply made a mistake when grading the test. ;)

What does "two hydroxides doesn't matter in this problem" mean?

"Two hydroxides doesn't matter in this problem" is a statement that suggests the presence of two hydroxide molecules in a reaction or equation will not have a significant impact on the outcome or solution. It implies that the hydroxides are not the limiting factor or the main focus of the problem at hand.

Why are two hydroxides not important in this problem?

In some scientific problems or experiments, the concentration or presence of certain molecules or compounds may be negligible and can be disregarded without affecting the overall results. In this case, the presence of two hydroxides does not play a crucial role in the solution and can be ignored or simplified.

Can two hydroxides be completely ignored in this problem?

It depends on the context and specific details of the problem. While two hydroxides may not be the main focus, they can still play a minor role in the overall reaction or process. It is important to carefully consider all components and variables before disregarding any factors in a scientific problem.

Will ignoring two hydroxides affect the accuracy of the solution?

If the two hydroxides have a negligible effect on the outcome, then ignoring them will not significantly impact the accuracy of the solution. However, if they do play a crucial role in the reaction, ignoring them may lead to an incorrect or incomplete solution.

Are there any other factors to consider when disregarding two hydroxides in a problem?

In addition to the impact on the solution, it is also important to consider the potential implications of ignoring any components in a scientific problem. This includes the potential effects on other reactions or processes, as well as the validity and reliability of the results. It is always best to carefully evaluate and justify any decisions to disregard certain factors in a problem.