Calculating Integrals using Dimensional Regularization

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with an expression involving the Gamma function and integrals. The hints given include using dimensional regularization and the integral formula for t, as well as the identity involving cotangent.
robousy
Hey folks,

I've been stuck on this for two days now so I'm hoping for some hints from anyone...

I'm trying to show:

[tex]-\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{d^{2n}k}{(2\pi)^{2n}}\frac{1}{\Gamma(s)}\sum_{m=-\infty}^{m=\infty}\int_0^\infty t^{s-\frac{3}{2}}e^{-(k^2+a^2m^2)t}=-\frac{\pi^n}{(2\pi)^{2n}L^{2n}}\frac{\Gamma(s-n)}{\Gamma(s)}L^{2s}\zeta(2s-2n)[/tex]

I know the expression for the Gamma function is

[tex]\Gamma(s)=\int_0^\infty t^{s-1}e^{t}dt[/tex]

and probably comes in useful somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

I also know,

[tex]z^{-s}=\frac{1}{\Gamma(s)}\int_0^\infty t^{s-1}e^{-zt}[/tex]

which might also come in useful.

I don't know if anyone has much experience with this sort of thing but if you have any tips I'd be grateful!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT 1: see the volume of 2n-dimensional Sphere at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_regularization

HINT 2: for the integral over 't' [tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} dx e^{-ux}x^{r} = \Gamma(r+1)u^{-r-1} [/tex]

HINT 3: [tex] \pi cotg(i \pi z) = (-i/z)-2iz \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(z^{2}+n^{2})^{-1} [/tex]

cot(x) means cotangent.

1. What is Dimensional Regularization?

Dimensional Regularization is a mathematical technique used to handle integrals and divergences in quantum field theory. It involves analytically continuing the dimension of spacetime to non-integer values, making the integral convergent and allowing for calculations to be performed.

2. Why is Dimensional Regularization useful?

Dimensional Regularization provides a systematic and consistent way to deal with divergent integrals in quantum field theory. It also preserves important symmetries and allows for easier calculations compared to other regularization methods.

3. How does Dimensional Regularization work?

Dimensional Regularization works by introducing a parameter, often denoted as D, that represents the dimension of spacetime. The integrals are then evaluated in D dimensions, and then analytically continued to the desired physical dimension, usually 4. This allows for the cancellation of divergences.

4. What are the limitations of Dimensional Regularization?

Dimensional Regularization is not applicable to all types of divergent integrals. It is most effective for integrals that are polynomially divergent, and may not work for logarithmically divergent integrals. It also does not provide a physical interpretation for the non-integer dimensions used in calculations.

5. How is Dimensional Regularization related to renormalization?

Dimensional Regularization is a type of renormalization technique used in quantum field theory. It is used to remove the infinities that arise in calculations and allows for a consistent way to extract meaningful physical predictions from a theory. Dimensional Regularization is often used in combination with other renormalization methods to fully remove all divergences.