Producing a Time Delay of 44 Seconds with a 555 Timer

In summary, the electronics expert recommends using a more stable oscillator and long down-counter chain to produce a delay of up to 44 seconds.
Mc.
Hi, everyone.
I am currently involved in a small electronics project and I am required to produce a time delay for part of the project. I plan on using the famous 555 timer and not quite sure on what to do to produce this delay.So please anyone help explain how to produce a time delay of,say for example 44 seconds.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are many ways to create a delay. Two I'm thinking of now are here:

1.) Use a 555 timer in monostable mode. This way, you'd push a button that activates the 555's trigger, and it would put out a pulse of a delay you'd specify. If whatever you're delaying for needs Vcc to be on, you could connect the 555 through an inverter or something to the device.

http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM555.pdf [Broken]

2. You could do some things with voltage controlled switches and capacitor discharging, but honestly, I think option 1 is your best bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh, thanks that works very well but I think my question was not clear enough and I apologise for that.The question should have been something like this;Say you have made a one shot time that actually has a time width of 44 seconds, how possible it is to split this interval to,say, two or three parts. The main idea I have is to use few times as possible.

Did you mean it will run for 22s - stop - then run 22s?

I'd suggest that instead of using a 555, you could use a more stable oscillator and a long down-counter chain. You could use a 32kHz watch crystal, for example, and an HC4060 14 bit ripple counter to get close to a 1 second square wave, and then use another HC4060 to count out to multiple seconds. With a little logic, you can generate any delay you want out in the 44 second range.

If you need multiple time delays of variable length then a uP come to mind.

Hey thanks guy for you answers they gave me more knowladge on digital stuff.
I met my advisor and I asked him about the ideas I have on time delays and he said that a 555 time in one shot will work on a workbench but not practically. He also said that the frequency I will be using will be too high for physical components.
I will probably stick to timers.

Thank you guy for your contributions.

1. How does a 555 timer produce a time delay of 44 seconds?

A 555 timer is an integrated circuit that can function as a timer. It works by charging and discharging a capacitor to create a time delay. By adjusting the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit, the time delay can be set to 44 seconds.

2. What components are needed to produce a time delay of 44 seconds with a 555 timer?

To produce a time delay of 44 seconds with a 555 timer, you will need a 555 timer IC, a resistor, a capacitor, and a power supply. The values of the resistor and capacitor will determine the length of the time delay.

3. Can a 555 timer be used to produce a time delay longer than 44 seconds?

Yes, a 555 timer can be used to produce a time delay longer than 44 seconds. The length of the time delay can be adjusted by changing the values of the resistor and capacitor in the circuit. However, the maximum time delay that can be achieved with a 555 timer is typically around 10 minutes.

4. How accurate is a 555 timer in producing a time delay of 44 seconds?

The accuracy of a 555 timer in producing a time delay of 44 seconds depends on the quality of the components used and the precision of the circuit design. In general, a 555 timer can achieve an accuracy of within 1% of the desired time delay.

5. Are there any other methods for producing a time delay of 44 seconds besides using a 555 timer?

Yes, there are other methods for producing a time delay of 44 seconds. These include using a microcontroller, a programmable timer, or a combination of resistors and capacitors in a circuit. However, a 555 timer is a commonly used and relatively simple method for producing a time delay of 44 seconds.