Propagator/transition amplitude through intermediate integrations

• Thread starter omg!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplitude
In summary, the propagator or transition amplitude is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another over a specific time period. This is achieved through intermediate integrations, which involve summing over all possible paths the particle could take between the two states. By calculating the propagator, one can determine the likelihood of a particle's final state given its initial state, providing valuable information for understanding and predicting quantum behavior.
omg!
Hi all,

suppose i want to calculate the propagator/transition amplitude which i can write as follows:

[tex](a,T|-a,-T)=\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx_1\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx_2(a,T|x_1,T_1)(x_1,T_1|x_2,T_2)(x_2,T_2|-a,-T)[/tex].

the situation is this:
i already have an approximation of [tex](a,T_{i-1}|-a,T_i)[/tex] which is qualitively different from [tex](a,T|-a,-T)[/tex], so that i can't simply calculate the latter by changing the time variable in the first expression. but i think it should be possible to use this information somehow to obatin the complete propagator. the problem is that i don't know how to deal with the intermediate integrations.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

(i'm using the path integral formalism for the calculation)

Physics news on Phys.org
The infinitesmal amplitudes can be exponentiated, since [tex]1 + \epsilon \approx e^{\epsilon}[/tex]. Once inside the exponential, you have a sum instead of a product. An analogous calculation is done here: http://www.physics.thetangentbundle.net/wiki/Quantum_mechanics/path_integral

Last edited by a moderator:
lbrits said:
The infinitesmal amplitudes can be exponentiated, since [tex]1 + \epsilon \approx e^{\epsilon}[/tex]. Once inside the exponential, you have a sum instead of a product. An analogous calculation is done here: http://www.physics.thetangentbundle.net/wiki/Quantum_mechanics/path_integral

hi, thanks again for your response!

sorry for my ignorance, but i couldn't find anything that would help in the link you provided. could you tell me where to look, or elaborate further?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it isn't really clear what you're doing, but I hazard a guess that it has to do with path integrals :)

Specifically, the derivation of [itex]G(q_{j+1}, t_{j+1}; q_j, t_j)[/itex] that casts it in the form:
[tex]G(q_{j+1}, t_{j+1}; q_j, t_j) \approx \int\!\frac{dp_j}{2\pi}e^{\frac{i}{\hbar} \left[ p_j (q_{j+1}-q_j) - H(p_j, \bar{q}_j)\delta t \right]}[/tex].

hmm, that looks like some discretized version of the path integral.

what I'm trying to do is to write the expression in my first post into something like

[tex](a,T|-a,-T)=C\prod_{n=1}^N(a,T_{n-1}|-a,T_n)[/tex]

because i already know much about [tex](a,T_{n-1}|-a,T_n)[/tex].

What approximation do you already have?

What is a propagator/transition amplitude through intermediate integrations?

A propagator/transition amplitude through intermediate integrations is a mathematical concept in quantum mechanics that describes the probability of a particle moving from one position to another over a certain period of time.

How is a propagator/transition amplitude through intermediate integrations calculated?

The propagator/transition amplitude through intermediate integrations is calculated using the path integral formulation, which involves summing up all possible paths that a particle could take between the initial and final positions.

What is the significance of the propagator/transition amplitude through intermediate integrations?

The propagator/transition amplitude through intermediate integrations is essential in calculating the probability of a particle's behavior in quantum mechanical systems. It allows us to predict the likelihood of a particle moving from one state to another.

What is the difference between a propagator and a transition amplitude?

A propagator represents the amplitude for a particle to move from one position to another in a certain time, while a transition amplitude describes the probability for a particle to transition from one quantum state to another.

How is the propagator/transition amplitude through intermediate integrations used in practical applications?

The propagator/transition amplitude through intermediate integrations is used in various areas of physics, such as quantum field theory, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in the development of quantum computing algorithms and in the study of quantum information theory.