Determining node voltage using Mesh Analysis and Thevenin's Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem using mesh analysis and Thevenin's theorem to determine the voltage at node A and node B with respect to the ground node. The participants also mention using Kirchhoff's laws and the process for finding the Thevenin equivalent current. Ultimately, one of the participants thanks another for their helpful advice.
zeroktrian

Homework Statement

Using mesh analysis work out the currents flow through each of the three meshes. From these current values calculate the voltage of node A, and node B with respect to the ground node.

Find equivalents of sub circuits A-G, B-G, A-B by applying Thevenin's theory. Then place these equivalents together and prove that the voltage at node A, and node B will be the same as in the previous problem.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Current and Voltage Laws, Thevenin's laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution should be visible in the images I uploaded. The three current values I obtained through Mesh Analysis have been verified using the Circuit Wizard program. My only uncertainties are with regards to determining the voltages at node A and B with respect to the ground node.

I am not certain whether my method for their determination using the currents from the Mesh Analysis are correct. Also, with their verification using Thevenin's theorem, I am not certain about how exactly to figure out the node voltages using the theorem.

If anyone could guide me in the right direction I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.

Attachments

• ENB103---DC-Problem-001.jpg
    ENB103---DC-Problem-001.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • ENB103---Mesh-Analysis-001.jpg
    ENB103---Mesh-Analysis-001.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,031
  • ENB103---Thevenin's-Theorem.jpg
    ENB103---Thevenin's-Theorem.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 986
Physics news on Phys.org
hey dude, I am also doing 103. What you need to do is find the thevenin equivalent current for ur Thevenin circuit. After you've done that, set a current flow direction i.e clockwise. To find V(a) and V(b) you then need to do KVL until u get to nodes A or B. Note that if you go against the current direction, your current value will have to be a negative. Hope i helped and hope its not too late. Good Luck.

Same here doing 103, got problem 5 though. Just follow acurabot's steps there correct. GL

Thanks for that Acurabot. I realize it is a ridiculously late post, but I thought I should thank you for the time you took to post. I ended up figuring it out (must admit I didn't get your post before I submitted), but thanks again.

1. How do you use Mesh Analysis to determine node voltage?

To use Mesh Analysis, you first need to determine the number of meshes in the circuit. A mesh is a closed loop that does not contain any other loops within it. After identifying the meshes, assign a current variable to each mesh. Next, write Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) equations for each mesh, equating the sum of the voltage drops to the voltage sources in that mesh. This will result in a system of equations that can be solved to determine the current values for each mesh. Finally, use Ohm's Law to calculate the voltage at the desired node based on the current values.

2. What is Thevenin's Theorem and how is it used in determining node voltage?

Thevenin's Theorem states that any linear circuit can be reduced to a single voltage source and a single resistor connected in series. This equivalent circuit is known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit. To use Thevenin's Theorem in determining node voltage, we first need to find the Thevenin equivalent circuit for the portion of the circuit that contains the desired node. This can be done by finding the open circuit voltage and the equivalent resistance seen from the desired node. Once the Thevenin equivalent circuit is determined, we can use it to calculate the voltage at the desired node.

3. Can Mesh Analysis and Thevenin's Theorem be used for any type of circuit?

Yes, Mesh Analysis and Thevenin's Theorem can be used for any linear circuit. This means that the circuit must follow Ohm's Law and have only passive elements such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. Non-linear elements like diodes and transistors cannot be analyzed using these methods.

4. What are the advantages of using Mesh Analysis and Thevenin's Theorem in determining node voltage?

One advantage is that these methods are systematic and can be applied to any linear circuit. They also provide a way to simplify complex circuits into an equivalent circuit with fewer elements, making it easier to analyze. Additionally, these methods can be used to determine the voltage at any desired node in the circuit, not just at the output node.

5. Are there any limitations to using Mesh Analysis and Thevenin's Theorem?

Yes, these methods have some limitations. They can only be applied to linear circuits, and they rely on ideal components, which may not accurately represent real-world circuits. Additionally, Thevenin's Theorem assumes that the circuit is in steady-state, meaning that all capacitors are fully charged and all inductors are fully energized. If this is not the case, the results may not be accurate.