Rotational Motion and Friction

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a rotating platform and a small button. The question is to find the coefficient of static friction between the button and the platform. The person discussing the problem believes they have the correct answer but is having trouble with the website submission. They ask for assistance and it is determined that they forgot to convert revolutions to radians.
Black Armadillo
In my physics class one of the problems we have been given to solve is:

"A small button placed on a horizontal rotating platform with diameter 0.330m will revolve with the platform when it is brought up to a rotational speed of 44.0 rev/min, provided the button is a distance no more than 0.148m from the axis. What is the coefficient of static friction between the button and the platform?"

I’m almost certain that I've found the correct answer (0.008122); however, the website that I have to submit my answers into is telling me that it is incorrect. I’d appreciate it greatly if someone could guide me in the right direction. I've attached a pdf (View attachment Physics help.pdf) to this post showing my thought process to aid in pinpointing where I've gone wrong. Please only tell me where I've gone wrong and what I should have done; do not send me the answer. Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct, other than you forgot to convert revolutions to radians.

Hey chislam, converting from revolutions to radians was indeed the problem. Thanks so much for your help.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed axis or point. It is a type of motion that involves a combination of translation and rotation.

2. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that acts between two surfaces in contact that are not moving relative to each other. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that acts between two surfaces in contact that are moving relative to each other.

3. How do you calculate the torque of an object?

The torque of an object is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by the nature of the surfaces (roughness, texture), the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants or fluids.

5. What is the relationship between friction and rotational motion?

Friction can play a significant role in rotational motion, as it can act as a resistance against the rotation of an object. This can cause a decrease in the speed or acceleration of the object, depending on the amount of friction present.