EMF and Internal Resistance (2)

Your Name]In summary, to find the total parallel resistance, we use the formula 1/R(total) = 1/R1 + 1/R2. The internal resistance of the battery can be found using Ohm's law (V = IR). To calculate the current drawn from the battery, we use Ohm's law again (I = V/R) with the total resistance in the circuit being the sum of the parallel resistance and internal resistance of the battery.
SJN

Homework Statement

A battery consisting of six cells in series, each of e.m.f 1.5V and internal resistance 0.5 Ohms is connected to two 3 Ohm resistors which are in parallel. Calculate:
a) the total parallel resistance of the combination [1.67]
b) write down the internal resistance of the battery
c) calculate the current drawn from the batter [1.93]

Homework Equations

I = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't know where to start :(

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Sam,

No problem, let's break this down step by step.

a) To find the total parallel resistance, we can use the formula 1/R(total) = 1/R1 + 1/R2, where R1 and R2 are the individual resistances of the two 3 Ohm resistors. Plugging in the values, we get 1/R(total) = 1/3 + 1/3 = 2/3. To get R(total), we take the reciprocal of both sides, giving us R(total) = 3/2 = 1.67 Ohms.

b) To find the internal resistance of the battery, we can use Ohm's law (V = IR) and rearrange it to solve for R. We know the voltage (1.5V) and the current (which we will find in part c), so we can plug those values in to find the internal resistance.

c) To calculate the current drawn from the battery, we can use Ohm's law again (I = V/R). The total resistance in the circuit is the sum of the parallel resistance (1.67 Ohms) and the internal resistance of the battery (which we will find in part b). Once we have the total resistance, we can plug that in along with the battery's voltage (1.5V) to find the current.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromotive force and refers to the potential difference or voltage produced by a source such as a battery or generator.

2. What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance is the resistance within a source, such as a battery, that opposes the flow of current. It is caused by the resistance of the materials used to construct the source and the chemical reactions within the source.

3. How does internal resistance affect the overall performance of a battery?

Internal resistance can cause a decrease in the voltage produced by a battery, leading to a decrease in the battery's overall performance. It can also cause the battery to heat up and lose energy, reducing its efficiency.

4. Can the internal resistance of a battery be measured?

Yes, the internal resistance of a battery can be measured using a multimeter. By measuring the voltage of the battery under different loads, the internal resistance can be calculated using Ohm's law.

5. How can internal resistance be reduced?

Internal resistance can be reduced by using materials with lower resistivity in the construction of the source, improving the design of the source to decrease the resistance, and using larger and/or multiple cells in a battery to decrease the overall internal resistance.