HELP: orthogonal sets & orthogonal matrices HW problem

In summary, to determine if a set is orthogonal, we can check if the dot product of every combination equals zero. However, if we want to determine if a set is orthonormal, we need to divide each vector by its length and then check the dot product. Additionally, a matrix formed by arranging orthogonal vectors as columns or rows will be orthogonal if the vectors are orthonormal. This only works for square matrices.
xcvxcvvc
Given a = ( 1, -2, 1), b= ( 0, 1, 2), and c = (-5, -2, 1) determine if {a, b, c} is an orthogonal set. Show support for your answer.

I know that if the dot product of every combination equals zero, the set is orthogonal. No problems here. I do that, and they all equal zero.
a dot b:
1 * 0 + -2 * 1 + 1 * 2 = 0
a dot c:
1 * -5 + -2 * -2 + 1 * 1 = 0
b dot c:
0 * -5 + 1 * -2 + 2 * 1 = 0

The problem comes with another theorem I learned to determine if a set is orthogonal. I thought if i made a square matrix out of orthogonal sets, the matrix is also orthogonal. Thus, the matrix's transpose equals its inverse and its transpose times the original equals an identity matrix.

So I check what I've already concluded this time with the matrix method:

[ 1, -2, 1]T [1, -2, 1] --------------------[1,0,0]
[ 0, 1, 2] * [ 0, 1, 2] which doesn't equal [0,1,0]
[-5, -2, 1] [-5, -2, 1] -------------------- [0,0,1]

I tried making the vectors columns and rows(from my understanding, both should work), and there is an example in my notes that uses this method. The example works. this does not. It's really frustrating.

I'm using a calculator to do the matrix math.

Physics news on Phys.org
xcvxcvvc said:
Given a = ( 1, -2, 1), b= ( 0, 1, 2), and c = (-5, -2, 1) determine if {a, b, c} is an orthogonal set. Show support for your answer.

I know that if the dot product of every combination equals zero, the set is orthogonal. No problems here. I do that, and they all equal zero.
a dot b:
1 * 0 + -2 * 1 + 1 * 2 = 0
a dot c:
1 * -5 + -2 * -2 + 1 * 1 = 0
b dot c:
0 * -5 + 1 * -2 + 2 * 1 = 0

The problem comes with another theorem I learned to determine if a set is orthogonal. I thought if i made a square matrix out of orthogonal sets, the matrix is also orthogonal.
No! If a set of vectors is orthonormal, then a matrix having those vectors as columns or rows is orthogonal. The vectors you give are orthogonal but not "normal"- they do not have length 1. If you were to divide each of those vectors by its length, then you would have an orthonormal set and they would form an orthogonal matrix.

Thus, the matrix's transpose equals its inverse and its transpose times the original equals an identity matrix.

So I check what I've already concluded this time with the matrix method:

[ 1, -2, 1]T [1, -2, 1] --------------------[1,0,0]
[ 0, 1, 2] * [ 0, 1, 2] which doesn't equal [0,1,0]
[-5, -2, 1] [-5, -2, 1] -------------------- [0,0,1]

I tried making the vectors columns and rows(from my understanding, both should work), and there is an example in my notes that uses this method. The example works. this does not. It's really frustrating.

I'm using a calculator to do the matrix math.

HallsofIvy said:
No! If a set of vectors is orthonormal, then a matrix having those vectors as columns or rows is orthogonal. The vectors you give are orthogonal but not "normal"- they do not have length 1. If you were to divide each of those vectors by its length, then you would have an orthonormal set and they would form an orthogonal matrix.

ahh, thanks. Is there any pattern formed when a matrix's rows or columns are orthogonal vectors? I know when I arrange those orthogonal vectors into columns, the transpose * the original equals a diagonal matrix. Yet, arranging the orthogonal vectors into rows gives me a mess of a matrix no where near diagonal.

Also, the orthonormal vector identity matrix orthogonal matrix thing only works for square matrices. right?

1. What is an orthogonal set?

An orthogonal set is a collection of vectors that are all perpendicular to each other. This means that the dot product of any two vectors in the set is equal to zero.

2. How do you determine if a set is orthogonal?

To determine if a set is orthogonal, you need to find the dot product of all possible pairs of vectors in the set. If the dot product is equal to zero for all pairs, then the set is orthogonal.

3. What is an orthogonal matrix?

An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix where its columns and rows are all orthogonal to each other. This means that the dot product of any two columns or rows is equal to zero. Additionally, the matrix must have a determinant of either 1 or -1.

4. How do you determine if a matrix is orthogonal?

To determine if a matrix is orthogonal, you can use the following two criteria: 1) the matrix must be square, and 2) the dot product of any two columns or rows must equal zero. Additionally, you can also check the determinant of the matrix to see if it is equal to 1 or -1.

5. Why are orthogonal sets and matrices important?

Orthogonal sets and matrices have many practical applications in various fields, such as computer graphics, signal processing, and physics. They allow for easier calculations and transformations, and also have useful properties such as preserving lengths and angles. In addition, orthogonal matrices can be used for efficient and accurate rotation and reflection operations.