Exploring Light and Wavelength Theory with TCS230 Light Sensor

In summary: The output is frequency based so you could calculate the wavelength if you knew the c = f.lamda equation.The TCS230 has an internal light to frequency converter which I couldn't find any info on however it seems to be for some other function not just light sensing.Fermat's principle is about how light is refracted and Lamberts Cosine law is about how light reflects off of surfaces. You could try doing some experiments with light and wavelength theory to see if that is something you are interested in. I'm sorry I can't provide more help as I'm not very knowledgeable in physics myself.
thavamaran
Hi guys, i been recently implementing TCS230 for my final year project, so i have did few experimental stuff on TCS230 and applied few theory for the methodology, first experiment was TCS230 without LED illumination and with just fluorescent light illumination, i got some result and it was not good and i prove it with Fermat's principle, then i did experiment with LED illumination and i prove the theory with lamberts cosine law. I am planning to do more experiment with TCS230 and prove some of light or wavelength theory, what kind of experiment can i do?

Since TCS230 output is frequency base, can i calculate the wavelength with c=f.lamda? is all the visible color has the same speed of light? This particular TCS230 has internal light to frequency converter, i can't find any info on this particular device, how actually it works? please help me, i have tried research across net and books, but i can't really find any reliable source for all this question, please do help me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
thavamaran said:
Hi guys, i been recently implementing TCS230 for my final year project, so i have did few experimental stuff on TCS230 and applied few theory for the methodology, first experiment was TCS230 without LED illumination and with just fluorescent light illumination, i got some result and it was not good and i prove it with Fermat's principle, then i did experiment with LED illumination and i prove the theory with lamberts cosine law. I am planning to do more experiment with TCS230 and prove some of light or wavelength theory, what kind of experiment can i do?

Since TCS230 output is frequency base, can i calculate the wavelength with c=f.lamda? is all the visible color has the same speed of light? This particular TCS230 has internal light to frequency converter, i can't find any info on this particular device, how actually it works? please help me, i have tried research across net and books, but i can't really find any reliable source for all this question, please do help me.

Welcome to the PF. From a quick google search, the TCS230 is an RGB photodiode converter to a frequency output signal. Looks to be for light level sensing and color sensing.

Fermat's principle has to do with refraction of light, and would seem to be unrelated. Lamber's Cosine Law relates to reflectance off of surfaces (gotta' love Wikipedia.org). What exactly do you want to do? And yes, the speed of light in a vacuum and in air is the same for all colors. There are some media that are dispersive, but you will probably not run into that in your experiments.

Hey berkeman, you are right about fermat's principle for refraction and there is laws of reflection which using fermats principle as methodology.

Check it out here:

http://http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/phyopt/Fermat.html"

So the thing is i am not satisfied with the experiments i did with TCS230, i have this thought that i could perform more on this sensor, so as you know its directly got to do with light, what else experiment i can do with this sensor, may be through illumination, surface, or wavelength or whatsoever, so i don't really have any idea right now, so i need ideas from pros like you, please help me. let me tell you in detail about the experiments i done so far.

1st was i used this color sensor without any diffuse illumination and only got the reading which fluorescent lights illumination in my lab, therefore when i read the through the medium which is an A4 paper printed with colors and my sensor on top of it, so there was no proper reflection and only shadow left, so i prove this with laws of reflection correlated to fermats principle.

2nd i did a new board with White Led, white led because through my research i found that white led blocks other ambient light, correct me if I am wrong, then the output was perfect with i measured the same color with diffrent intensity, which from dark to bright, like an example for red, from 0 to 255, and the output keep increasing according to brightness. so i prove the diffuse reflection works fine with lamberts cosine law.

now i need idea to further extend my experiment, i really want to squeeze out everyting i need to know about this, please give me idea, i just need idea with some guidance, I am not really good with physics, sorry about that.

another thing is how actually this internal light to frequency converter works, i really couldn't get proper resource on that, please guide me as well.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
The TCS230 does NOT convert the visible light to frequency. It has outputs that put out different frequencies (few kHz to 500 kHz) for various color (red green blue) light illumination. Read the data sheet.

If you want to play with different colors to see if you can reproduce the data-sheets "PHOTODIODE SPECTRAL RESPONSIVITY" you could use filters, vary the intensity, and record the frequency output. http://www.edmundoptics.com/" .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a TCS230 light sensor?

A TCS230 light sensor is an electronic device that measures the intensity and color of light. It uses an array of photodiodes to detect the light and a converter to convert the analog signal into a digital one.

2. How does a TCS230 light sensor work?

The TCS230 light sensor works by using a white light source to illuminate an object. The light is then reflected off the object and onto the sensor. The sensor measures the intensity and color of the reflected light and converts it into a digital signal that can be read by a microcontroller or other electronic device.

3. What is the range of detection for a TCS230 light sensor?

The range of detection for a TCS230 light sensor depends on the specific model and settings used, but typically it can detect light in the visible spectrum (380nm to 780nm). Some models may also have extended ranges to detect infrared or ultraviolet light.

4. How accurate is a TCS230 light sensor?

The accuracy of a TCS230 light sensor depends on various factors such as the quality of the sensor, the calibration process, and the environment it is used in. However, on average, it has an accuracy of about +/- 10% for intensity measurements and +/- 5nm for color measurements.

5. What are the applications of a TCS230 light sensor?

TCS230 light sensors have a wide range of applications in industries such as agriculture, automotive, and consumer electronics. They are commonly used in color detection, color sorting, and ambient light sensing. They can also be used in colorimeters, color scanners, and colorimeters for display calibration.