Efficient Sensor for Candle Detection in Firefighting Robot Competition

• Thread starter alphadog0309
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensor
In summary, the sensors Mikeawesome referred to are UVTron or similar sensors that are designed to pick up UV radiation from something burning. They should work with the Arduino control board and the physics teacher's (and robotics advisor's) that Mikeawesome mentioned. The range on the sensors is about 2-3 ft.
alphadog0309
i am looking into participating in a local firefighting robot competition and i have many of the parts necessary, one thing i have yet to decide on is my method of finding the candle which is placed in a random room. Originally i had intended to use an infrared sensor with a filter, but i was unsure on whether it would be able to detect a candle from about 3-4 feet away... anyone have any experience with these?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Something like the passive IR sensor from a home security alarm should work. Ideally you want a couple with some sort of metal 'lens hood' so you can get a better idea of direction

by couple do you mean like 2 or 3 sensors to detect the light??

alphadog0309 said:
by couple do you mean like 2 or 3 sensors to detect the light??

Yes facing in different directions so you know whihc way to turn and can subtract the background level for the room. It's tricky to make optics at these wavelengths so you want a metal tube to limit the angle each sensor can 'see'

alright so here is the basic premise of the task:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tl9...irefighting/index.htm&feature=player_embedded

im planning to use an arduino control board with a motor controller and build an infrared sensor that will pick up the light along with a sonar sensor to detect distance from the walls, a light sensor to detect the white lines, and motor encoders for precise turning and distance measuring

my physics teacher (and robotics advisor) just got two of these (http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/IRD-10/INFRARED-DETECTOR-MODULE/-/1.html)... should they work?

Last edited:
What you want is a UVTron or a sensor designed to pick up UV radiation from something burning.

http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R66-R2868.html

Hamamatsu sells these as entire packages which output a PWM proportional the amount of UV light they receive.

http://www.acroname.com/robotics/info/articles/trin2001/trin2001.html

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the range on one of those things? I'm looking into something with about 2-3 ft sensitivity

Cool Project!

I'd suggest some melexis sensors from future electronics:

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en...umberUpshifted|*MLX90614*|1|,Ny:True,Nea:True

I was used to working with much larger, more expensive sensors that had germanium lenses. Though not as tightly calibrated or directional, the melexis parts are easily 1/10 the price and easier to interface. Also, they didn't have the handling issues that come with germanium (every fingerprint - a lasting memory...).

I'd put the little guys on a polygon, with one every sixty degrees. This way, they overlap sufficeint for you to spot the places between. That will give you 6 channels to buffer and acquire.

With the original melexis parts, I used chopper-stabilized op amps from Linear Tech to buffer them. they part easily spotted me from 5-6 feet away. With something as hot as a candle, the long wave IR output should be enourmous! (Refer to Boltznam's distribution).

Good luck and have fun,

- Mike

awesome! thanks for the help i bought a few sensors off a surplus store that look similar... thanks!

1. How does the sensor detect a candle?

The sensor uses infrared light to detect the presence of a candle. When the candle is lit, it emits heat and light, both of which can be detected by the sensor. This information is then converted into an electrical signal, which can be interpreted by the sensor.

2. Can the sensor detect different types of candles?

Yes, the sensor is designed to detect any type of candle that emits heat and light. This includes traditional wax candles, LED candles, and even scented candles. As long as the candle produces heat and light, it can be detected by the sensor.

3. How accurate is the sensor in detecting a candle?

The accuracy of the sensor depends on several factors such as the distance between the sensor and the candle, the strength of the candle's heat and light emissions, and any potential interference from other sources. However, in general, the sensor is highly accurate and can detect a candle within a few feet of its location.

4. Can the sensor be used in different environments?

Yes, the sensor can be used in various environments as long as there is no interference from other heat or light sources. However, it is best to use the sensor in a controlled environment to ensure the most accurate results.

5. What is the range of the sensor for detecting a candle?

The range of the sensor can vary depending on its design and capabilities. However, most sensors can detect a candle within a range of 3-6 feet. Some advanced sensors may have a longer range, but this also depends on the surrounding environment and potential interference.