Drinking Water from the First Floor with a Long Straw

• Thread starter jimlee4262
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the question proposes a scenario where a person has a glass of water on the first floor and is on the second floor with a very long straw. The problem is to figure out a way to drink the water or get it to the second floor without using anything except what is stated in the problem. The conversation discusses the possibility of using suction through the straw and the limitations of human lung capacity. It is suggested to use a vacuum pump to create a greater pressure differential for the water to move up the straw. In the end, it is concluded that the problem is similar to trying to breathe through a garden hose while sitting on the bottom of a swimming pool, which is not possible.
jimlee4262
You have a glass of water on the first floor. You are on the second floor with a very long straw. You put the straw in the water. How can you drink the water or get it to the second floor? (Without using anything except what is stated in the problem) How do you continuously drink it?

Physics news on Phys.org
jimlee4262 said:
You have a glass of water on the first floor. You are on the second floor with a very long straw. You put the straw in the water. How can you drink the water or get it to the second floor? (Without using anything except what is stated in the problem) How do you continuously drink it?

Well, other than sucking real hard, there is at least one other answer. Is this for homework or other schoolwork? What is the context of the question?

my teacher asked me if there was a possible way but I can't think of it. It's just for fun.

Humans are not capable of generating the required pressure for that with their mouths/lungs. Not sure what other methods there may be...

That's got to be one fine straw. Offer it to the first passing kid you see if he'll bring you the glass of water. Or you can always walk down stairs and get it yourself.

russ_watters said:
Humans are not capable of generating the required pressure for that with their mouths/lungs. Not sure what other methods there may be...

I only found one online reference of dubious source that placed suction through a straw, using mouth and tough, rather than lungs (1 psi), at 4 psi. I think it's doable, or nearly so.

russ_watters said:

Well, let's not give it away to the OP, but think about how else you get soda from the glass into your mouth with a straw...

jimlee -- any ideas?

No such thing as suction really....fluid is pushed up the straw by atmospheric pressure, you are simply creating a lower pressure area for the fluid to move to.

You could devise an experiment. Use a vacuum pump on the end of the straw, this will ensure the "ideal" low pressure area. The straw will also work better at sea level,(or lower), because of greatest pressure differential.

Sea level pressure is roughly 14.7psi, in an "ideal" situation, this is what you have to work with. Now the question becomes...

For a given diameter straw,(smaller diameter is better), how high will 14.7psi lift a water column?

A similar, but perhaps inverse, example of this problem is,

Could you sit on the bottom of a 12 foot deep swimming pool, and breathe through a 13 foot garden hose "snorkel"? The answer is no.

Last edited:
jmatejka said:
A similar, but perhaps inverse, example of this problem is,

Could you sit on the bottom of a 12 foot deep swimming pool, and breathe through a 13 foot garden hose "snorkel"? The answer is no.

I made the point above that oral suction is not the same as inhaling. It's not the inverse of this problem.

Phrak said:
I only found one online reference of dubious source that placed suction through a straw, using mouth and tough, rather than lungs (1 psi), at 4 psi. I think it's doable, or nearly so.
Yeah, with those numbers it depends on the particulars of the problem. It is close.

1. How does drinking water from the first floor with a long straw affect the taste of the water?

The taste of the water will not be affected by drinking it from the first floor with a long straw. As long as the water source is clean and the straw is properly cleaned, the water will maintain its original taste.

2. Is it safe to drink water from the first floor with a long straw?

Yes, it is safe to drink water from the first floor with a long straw as long as the water source is clean and the straw is properly cleaned. However, be cautious of drinking from unknown or contaminated water sources.

3. Will using a long straw to drink water from the first floor filter out impurities?

No, using a long straw to drink water from the first floor will not filter out impurities. The straw is simply a tool for drinking and will not alter the quality of the water.

4. How far can a long straw reach from the first floor?

The length of a long straw will depend on the building's construction and the length of the straw itself. However, generally speaking, a long straw can reach up to several stories high from the first floor.

5. Is it more efficient to use a long straw to drink water from the first floor?

No, using a long straw to drink water from the first floor is not more efficient. It may actually take longer to drink water through a long straw compared to drinking directly from a cup or glass.