Microcantilever-direction of deflection

• Thread starter engineer23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Deflection
In summary, the paper discusses a microcantilever-based hydrogen sensor where the cantilever is coated with Palladium film and the stress caused by hydrogen absorption changes the capacitance, allowing for measurement of hydrogen concentration. The plots in the article show positive deflection values, which may be due to reporting deflection from the initial position rather than absolute values. However, the decrease in deflection with increasing hydrogen concentration is still unclear. The study was conducted by D.R. Basalt and published in Sensors and Actuators B in 2003.
engineer23
Microcantilever---direction of deflection

I was reading a paper on a microcantilever-based hydrogen sensor. Here's how the sensor works (as I understand it):
The cantilever is coated with Palladium film. In the presence of Palladium, diatomic hydrogen splits into H atoms, which are absorbed by the cantilever. The stress imposed by this absorbance bends the canitlever, which changes the capacitance. Thus, percent hydrogen is a function of capacitance.

I would expect the deflection to be downward. However, the plots in the article show that the values for cantilever deflection (as measured by an optical sensor) are positive. For example, for 10% H2 concentration, the measured deflection is ~.4 micrometers.
For 0.4% H2 concentration, the deflection is 1.2 micrometers.

Can someone explain this behavior? The diagram in the article that shows how the device works has the cantilever bending downward (which I assume would be a negative value of deflection), but the plots show positive deflection values.

Thanks for any help!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Are they just using the absolute value for the deflection?
Since you presumably can't have less than zero hydrogen it's only going to bend one way and it might just be easier for them to quote deflection from the initial position rather than an absolute Z value

I think you may be right. The diagram definitely indicates deflection is downard, so I think the values they report are deflection from initial position (absolute).

The only other thing that bothers me is that deflection appears to decrease with increasing hydrogen concentration. This doesn't make sense to me...it seems that the more H2, the more absorbed H, and the greater the deflection. Also, the uncoated (and thus unloaded) beam is reported to have a negative deflection.

The paper is by D.R. Basalt and appears in Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 88 (2003) pp. 120-131.

1. What is a microcantilever?

A microcantilever is a tiny beam, usually made of silicon or other materials, that is typically a few micrometers long and less than a micrometer thick. It is used in nanotechnology for various applications, including sensing and measuring small forces.

2. How does a microcantilever deflect?

A microcantilever deflects when a force is applied to it. The beam bends or moves in response to the force, and this deflection can be measured and used to determine the magnitude of the force.

3. What is the direction of deflection for a microcantilever?

The direction of deflection for a microcantilever depends on the direction of the applied force. It will move in the opposite direction of the force, as the beam is designed to bend in response to external forces.

4. How is the direction of deflection measured for a microcantilever?

The direction of deflection for a microcantilever can be measured using various techniques, such as optical interferometry or piezoresistive sensing. These methods involve measuring the change in position or strain of the beam to determine the direction and magnitude of the deflection.

5. What are the applications of microcantilever-direction of deflection?

The direction of deflection for a microcantilever has many applications, including force sensing, atomic force microscopy, and biosensing. It can also be used in microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) for various sensing and actuation purposes.