Bachelor degree in electrical to masters in physics

In summary, the person has a background in electrical engineering and is currently working in a software firm. However, they have always been interested in physics and now want to pursue a Master's degree in the field, particularly in high energy physics at a prestigious university like Cambridge or Caltech. They are unsure if they can change their major without any prior coursework in physics and are seeking advice on the next steps to take, such as taking the TOEFL and GRE exams. They are also unsure of the qualifications needed for a Master's degree and are wondering if a Master's or PhD would be a better option for their long-term goals. They are seeking detailed advice and are currently confused about their next steps.
fullmoon
Hi
i have done my ug in electrical( B.E - EEE) and now working in a software firm...
right from my school age I'm interested in physics and now i really want to do a masters in physics... i want to go into the research field
especially in high energy physics .. in a reputed clg.. like cambridge...caltech etc
now my problem is this
1.is it possible to change major just like that? or shd i have to do some small internship programs here.. to get into such universities i need a proper SOP. wat can i write in it.. as i haven't done any course in physics I'm confused whether my sop will be accepted
2. Wat are the steps i should take now..
i'm planning to write toefl and gre.. for physics its just general english or will we have to write subject wise gre also
3. is there any MUST qualifications for doing a masters
4. which is better,,MS in physics or a PhD.. on along term basis... how will be my nature of work after getting these degree?

thanks in advance guys
pls i need a detailed answer... since I'm confused a lot abt my next step! :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the difference between a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and a Master's degree in physics?

A Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering focuses on the practical application of electricity and electronics, while a Master's degree in physics delves deeper into the fundamental principles and theories of physics.

Can I pursue a Master's degree in physics with a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering?

Yes, many universities offer a bridge program or a specific track for students with a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering to continue their studies in physics at the graduate level.

What are the job opportunities for someone with a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and a Master's degree in physics?

With this combination of degrees, you may have opportunities in various fields such as research and development, renewable energy, aerospace, telecommunications, and more. Your skills and knowledge in both electrical engineering and physics can make you a valuable asset to employers.

How long does it take to complete a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and a Master's degree in physics?

The typical timeline for completing a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering is 4 years, and a Master's degree in physics can take an additional 2-3 years. However, this may vary depending on the program and your individual course load.

What are the key skills and knowledge gained from a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and a Master's degree in physics?

A Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematics, electronics, and computer programming. A Master's degree in physics will deepen your understanding of fundamental physical principles and theories, as well as develop your analytical, problem-solving, and research skills.